Silkie Tragedy thanks to the Raccoon

lolac68

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
texas
I woke up this a.m. and went outside to let all the chickens, ducks, and geese out. I noticed that the ground around the chicken coop looked disturbed, but didn't really think much about it, since the coop is firmly enclosed in wood and wire. I opened the door (which shuts firmly and was still locked) only to see a dead black silkie laying on the ground by the door. I picked it up, initially unable to determine what happened, then I saw it.... The doggone raccoon had reached in and grabbed whatever it could. It grabbed that poor little silkies leg and pulled it through the door and ate her leg. She was missing the whole leg. Once I got over the initial horror and shock, I started counting, only to find that I was missing two more silkies. I investigated the area and found that the raccoons (It's a mother and five young ones I've caught eating duck food) had dug under the edge of the coop and nabbed the unsuspecting silkies, apparently consuming them bit by bit through the wire. There are lots of roosts for the chickens, but for some reason my silkies always choose to huddle together on the floor. I am sooooo upset. Not only did they die, but I know that they suffered. I'm sooo furious w/ the coon. :mad: We purchased electric wiring for the fence and are in the process of putting it up. I made some modifications to the coop, but I still worry. Poor little silkies.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom