silkie unhappy after given too much food poo all over his bottom

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by max101, Mar 18, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I posted if it was safe to give 14 week old silkies different types of food and ppl said yes so I gave my 3 silkies yoghurt grapes oats and meat. Now one of my silkies is looking real unhappy. I had to wash his bottom as their was poo all over it. I blow dried him after it as I was told a silkie cannot get wet. They all have grit. Will silkies recover if they poo too much. He hasnt eaten this morning and is just standing around with his head down looking miserable.

2. Did you give all of those things together?

I would just seperate him into his own quiet little place and leave him be.
    What's his poo look like? Any blood or anything in it?
    How's the crop feel?

3. max101

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    yes i gave all the food in one day his crop seems normal and his poo is a caramel brown loose

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I hope you have them on starter, not grit. And I would avoid grapes until they are a bit older- maybe even 3 months. Yogurt they can have daily, but not all of that together- those are treats, not a daily ration.
    Good Luck!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I wouldnt be giving chickens meat either, especially that young. Plain low-fat yogurt is a great treat.

6. max101

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I just checked him and he looks better well his head is up now and walking around i have my silkies on starter and scratch mixed in together. I hope I dont lose him threw my stupidity. I will only give them yoghurt now and wait until they are heaps older for other stuff

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Scratch should not be given free choice, only the starter/grower/layer ration should be free choice, as I understand it.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Keep them on their starter. Some treats are fine, anything on your list would be fine, however, not too much at once. Maybe just a few grapes cut up one day, yogurt next, some meat scraps a few days later and so on. They don't need to fill up on junk food and any arubt food changes can throw off their insides. Good luck!

9. max101

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    thank you the info is appreciated he is moving around more and seems ok i will definitely go slower in introducing different feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by