1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie v.s. Brahma live on PayPerView

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peeboo, Oct 29, 2008.

1. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    Can anyone shed some light on why my tiny white silkie hen and my giant Brahma Roo seem to always be battling it out? They seem to mind their own business most of the time, then out of nowhere they start to puff out and stand tall and they just battle it out. I don't know why my young giant roo would feel threatened by my white puff of a silkie hen. Lately i have been finding wounds on my silkie and this has never happened in my flock before. A big bloody peck mark on her neck at the base of her head on the side of the neck and then a few days later. on her forehead next to the comb. Can anyone shed some light on this. my other hens pick on her just a bit because they are higher in the pecking order but have never drawn blood. i'm assuming it's Falcore my Brahma roo that's been doing it, and only to her it seems. anyone?

2. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I hate that!

I think I can understand "pecking order" but I do get angry when the outcome is bloody or painful.

One of my little silkies can really picked on sometimes, it's sad.

I wish I could help, but I think it's probably some kind of dominance thing.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she the only white bird or the only silkie? Maybe she looks different?

My Polish bantam gets picked on by the rooster (Polish Bantam), and I always thought it was because she is the only other Bantam in the flock and looks quite different from the other hens.

4. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    it is really sad, she doesn't seem to mind the wounds too much. she's acting normal, but if it gets anymore out of hand i think i have to do somthing. just not sure what to do about it. [​IMG]

5. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    hmmm good point beardedchick- she is the only white bird i have. i have another silkie but it's a buff like the brahmas and the buff silkie hangs with the brahmas now more than the white silkie. how strange. racist chickens?

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, the solution is obvious. You need more chickens. White ones.

Isn't the answer always more chickens? [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe he tries to breed her. He might be too big so she tries to keep him away. Maybe they should be separated for her safety.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Are you positive the silkie is a hen?

9. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    poor girl. meanie roo. but bearded chick is right, it sounds like you NEED more white chickens!

10. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    lol i was hoping you would say i needed more chickens, let me show that post to DH lol. ya i'm sure she's a hen or a VERY special egg laying rooster hehe. yesterday i found my rooster minding his own business and my white silkie, blinded by her puff, grew some silkie balls and just ran up to roo from behind and tried nipping his gargantuan butt. maybe she's the instigator? that doesn't sound like my sweet puff. but then again. maybe she's just all arnold schwarzenegger inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by