1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie v.s. Sebright???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhythmicgoldfish, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    so...i am alowing myself to splurge on 1 chick that is a bit whimsical but i'm not sure silkie or sebright

silkie
    -very broody
    -white ones lookreally cool when dyed with food coloring
    -buff nes look like big bird

sebright
    -very pretty
    -will stand up to the standards
    -wont take up much room

2. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    Depends on your experience. Sebrights are harder to raise and more fragile. Silkies are easy but both make great pets. I would prefer sebrights.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have NO self control, go with one of each! [​IMG] My sebrights are very sweet and very pretty. They haven't gone oustide yet, so I can't tell you how hardy they are. They sing very nicely, too. They can be a bit flighty though.

My silkies are sweet too, but they're a little more easy going. I know they make good mamas, so that's a plus. They do make great pets, especially if you spend a lot of time with them.

I know I'm not helping you make a decision. I like them both. Do you have other chicks right now? Chicks don't like to be a lone, so 2 is best.
    Sonja

4. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    i'd go with both too. Silkies and sebrights are two of my fav chickens [​IMG]

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Really? Only allowing yourself 1 chick? You must have some serious willpower! [​IMG] I agree with the other posters, go with one of each!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Sebrights arent fragile at all. They are actually very very hardy. They are flighty though. If you want a very friendly chicken, I would go with silkies. Or check out old english game bantams.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:I dont think they are harder to raise, mine from last year did just fine along with the other bantys. But IMHO sebrights are feistier than silkies , bit more aggresive i guess.

8. Chickenlover20

Chickenlover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    I have a Silkies Bantam, they are very calm, friendly, playful, and very acceptable.
    I never had a sebright before. but Im getting 20 of them in the spring.
    I cant wait. Also I have a Nankin bantam, they are VERY friendly as silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by