Silkie v.s. Sebright???

rhythmicgoldfish

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Barrington
so...i am alowing myself to splurge on 1 chick that is a bit whimsical but i'm not sure silkie or sebright

silkie
-very broody
-white ones lookreally cool when dyed with food coloring
-buff nes look like big bird

sebright
-very pretty
-will stand up to the standards
-wont take up much room

Depends on your experience. Sebrights are harder to raise and more fragile. Silkies are easy but both make great pets. I would prefer sebrights.

I have NO self control, go with one of each!
wink.png
My sebrights are very sweet and very pretty. They haven't gone oustide yet, so I can't tell you how hardy they are. They sing very nicely, too. They can be a bit flighty though.

My silkies are sweet too, but they're a little more easy going. I know they make good mamas, so that's a plus. They do make great pets, especially if you spend a lot of time with them.

I know I'm not helping you make a decision. I like them both. Do you have other chicks right now? Chicks don't like to be a lone, so 2 is best.
Sonja

Quote:
I dont think they are harder to raise, mine from last year did just fine along with the other bantys. But IMHO sebrights are feistier than silkies , bit more aggresive i guess.

I have a Silkies Bantam, they are very calm, friendly, playful, and very acceptable.
I never had a sebright before. but Im getting 20 of them in the spring.
I cant wait. Also I have a Nankin bantam, they are VERY friendly as silkies.

so...i am alowing myself to splurge on 1 chick that is a bit whimsical but i'm not sure silkie or sebright

silkie
-very broody
-white ones lookreally cool when dyed with food coloring
-buff nes look like big bird

sebright
-very pretty
-will stand up to the standards
-wont take up much room
Your signature lines indicates that you've already had Silkies or maybe even still do. And Frizzle's too. If that's correct then I'd go with the Seabright for more eye candy ONLY.

Seabrights have hen feathered roosters a minus to me).. are they going to be sexed at hatch or straight run?

Bantam Silkies.. (if not in the US) really should not take up any more room or much more than a Seabright.

I'm like others though.. if you're gonna "splurge".. get both! In case one doesn't make it.. It ALMOST sound like you need a new lesson in chicken math! Have you forgotten how it works? ;)

Back
Top Bottom