Silkie versus Cochin bantam rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smiley, Nov 7, 2010.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    I have read the pros and cons of having a rooster. I have a 3 year old son so safety is the most important thing.

If you were looking for a safe, rooster and had to choose between a bantam silkie or a cochin silkie what would you get?

Also, do you think it is really worth it to get a rooster? I am thinking I could probably just get hens and slip bought eggs under them when they go broody....

Lastly, for those that have silkies, do you have to do anything special or extra with them in their daily care? They seem a bit odd and just making sure they don't need any extra care that I don't know about! LOL

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    cochin I love them and I have 2 kids

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Personally I would go with a cochin, but they are both friendly breeds. You could get by just fine without a rooster, just put fake eggs under them to get them to go broody and then switch them out they will never know [​IMG] I have found it is best to switch them out when the hen comes out to eat, drink and poop. I would rather go with out a rooster personally. Silkies feathers will pick up extra stuff along the way when out side but nothing to bad [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have had two cochin roosters and many silkie roosters. Silkie for absolute certain (between those two choices). One cochin rooster was downright nasty; the other was not quite so bad.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We have lots of cochin roos.All are perfect gentlemen now our silkie roo is quite the opposite.He enjoys keeping the kids where he wants them [​IMG]

6. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Thanks guys for the response!

One more question...can silkies and cochins live together or will the cochins bully the silkies?

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our silkies and cochins live together fine...all of our breeds full size and fun size live together.Our Silkies are not bullies even the roos but they are much quicker to pick dominance to those they can than the Cochin's
    Last night our young Marans Roo-he's a big boy decided to flap his wings at me my bantam cochin roo in that pen sent him packing-that is non acceptable behavior in that pen..nice to know someone has your back even if it's the Little Guy [​IMG]

8. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Very cool!

9. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have my silkies with dual purpose birds, they by far don't get bullied.

10. noah02

noah02 ^Spammer

Nov 8, 2010
    Spam Removed

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by