Silkie Vision Problems (Even after trimming feathers)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leonardnimoyfan, Oct 6, 2012.

1. leonardnimoyfan

leonardnimoyfan New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Mid-New England
    We got a silkie pullet from a friend last April (or so) and since she could not see because of her overly fluffy head, we trimmed the feathers around her eyes. But she seems to have problems with depth perception. Ex. If you hold a treat in your hand, she will peck for it, but fall short by a few inches as if she thinks it is closer to her than it is.

[​IMG]

Her eyes might be a little cloudy, but it's hard to tell because her eyes are so dark. In addition, we noticed that she was keeping her eyes shut most of the time before we trimmed her feathers. Maybe her eyes are underdeveloped?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know about your silkie, but even after I trimmed my silkies' feathers around their eyes some, they couldn't find treats on the ground without blindly pecking the area. (When I used to have silkies.)

3. leonardnimoyfan

leonardnimoyfan New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Mid-New England
    Thanks for your input!

4. MaisyMoo

MaisyMoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    I'm hoping you're still out there; I know this is an old post. I have an 11-week old silkie and he is having the same vision problems that you describe. Do you find anything out about it (cause or solution)? My poor boy can't pick up large meal worms even though he tries so hard he just keeps missing. And, he can't navigate the ramp into the coop. Thanks in advance for any help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by