Silkie vs RIRXLeghorn rooster - any chance they can get along?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JollyRancher, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JollyRancher

JollyRancher New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    Kawartha Lakes, ON, Canada
    Hi there!

Mitch here. We were given three silkies about a month or so ago. Two brown/black/greeny roos and one all white hen. They were doing great and the two roos got along fine. We kept the seemingly dominant one and gave the other to our friend who just started her own flock of mixed bantis. we got our coop built, and they took to it greatly, though they only ever hung out in our garage until it was bed time. they are pretty sketchy and avoided interaction.

On Saturday we went to the Auction barn and got ourselves 8 lovely RIR X LegHorn hens and 1 pretty big, handsome roo. We put them in the coop while we built the run, and let the silkies do their thing (scratch out on the side yard for a few seconds, then run in to the garage, poop and repeat). Once the run was finished two hours later, I corralled the Silkies in to the run and shut the door. We let the new addition to the flock file out of the coop and join the Silkies. Naturally the two roosters had a big showy battle, and to everyone's surprise, our lil Silkie reigned supreme. There was a round two, and again the Silkie proved victorious. The big roo tries to avoid him at all costs, but the Silkie seems hell bent on ridding the run of the RIRx roo. It is no longer a battle so much as it is bullying and assault, the RIR just runs away, and when the Silkie catches up, he will just put his head down and try to keep his vitals away from Mr. Silkie and not fight back. The Silkie bit and rolled with his comb causing him to bleed pretty good. Everything I've read says Silkies are super docile and non-confrontational! We built a second level underneath the original coop so we could make sure they slept apart, and we either just let both the roosters out of the run where they can keep good distance or keep at least one out, they dont go far. Also, we do plan to let the chickens roam around our whole lot eventually, we just wanted to keep them in the run for about a week so they get used to their main stompin grounds. This Silkie bloodlust is on-going, and we do not know what the best plan of action is.

We would preferably like to keep both roosters, and we were hoping they would get along as the two Silkie roos did. Is there any way to train or condition them to get along? Do we have to make cock soup? If they are seperated in to different pens (build ourselves a seperate Silkie coop/run) would it be possible to still have the Silkie fertilize the eggs of the RIRx hens if we expose them without the other rooster around (at least four of them seem to have a soft spot for him, and hang around near him)? Is the Silkie roo likely to be like this with any other roosters we may get? The RIRx seems to have accepted his place and keeps low most of the time. All the research I have done contradicts and doesn't point me in any solid direction. I feel it may even be too soon to tell as it is just the start of day 4.

**UPDATE**

We have segregated the Silkies and built them a lil coop out of the side of the garden shed. They are free to run around during the day as they dont go far, and they have been here for longer, so they are less likely to find a new home area elsewhere. Soon our RIRxs will be free to roam our property, but we need to clip them first, and have them more familiarized before we go about that!

Any info and advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mitch/SandCat/JollyRancher ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. JollyRancher

JollyRancher New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    Kawartha Lakes, ON, Canada
    i guess dark partridge wouldbe the colour of Mr. Silkieroo! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by