silkie vs squirrel

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Frost Homestead, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I sat down to take a break from working in the garden and I was feeding the chickens some BOSS. This cute little squirrel came up and was trying so hard to get over to where I had sprinkled the seeds. Most of the chickens just ignored it, but my silkie Pippin didn't like it. She kept a close eye on it and would puff up and try to attack it if it got too close. I got some of it on video and thought I'd share. It's best to view it at 720p HD

[​IMG]

2. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    LOL!! Go Pippin!

I have come to really dislike squirrels due to their chicken feed stealing habits. I wish one of my chickens would take matters into their own hands... errr.... wings ... like Pippin has.

3. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    This one is always out there trying to get to their feed, but I kinda don't mind. It's cute and I feel like I should feed it LOL I recently had this old boat removed from my property and this squirrel was nesting in it. I used to sit and watch it collect nesting materials from around the yard and it would crawl inside of the boat, it had a pretty big nest in there of shredded cedar bark. (Thank goodness it didn't have any babies yet!)

4. Milk Glass Chicky

Milk Glass Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    [​IMG] I loved that video! So cute, Pippin and the squirrel. I don't mind the squirrels much either, rather them than other rodents. We have only two chickens right now and any feed we give them is eaten up before the squirrels manage to get any to matter. Though with the plethora of acorns we've had on the ground I imagine that occupies their time as well, hehe. Their antics are so amusing, leaping about with that fluffy bush of a tail. I remember watching out the window one time a few years ago, there was a squirrel who had "come to dinner" at my white leghorn Kate's pen. They were a little wary of each other, the squirrel would tentatively grab a bite of some feed while watching her, and Kate would do the same. They tolerated each other. I'd think that squirrel should've been wary, as Kate would sometimes kill and eat any creature smaller than her (birds, other rodents and who knows what else) when it'd annoy her and she'd get tired of it, and didn't escape fast enough. [​IMG]

Ha, I'd love to see someone animate the antics in your video in an old-school animated style of the thirties and forties, with their little cherubic faces, it reminds me so much of those Silly Symphonies and other shorts of the time period. [​IMG] But your video would still be cuter.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Cute! Your video reminds me of a time when i saw wild turkeys eating corn and a squirrel came up to get his share. But that squirrel ran at the feet of the turkeys and made them flap a couple of feet off the ground. Pippen made a more courageous stand than the wild turkeys at least 4 times the size.

6. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    haha yeah she's got spunk! Currently sitting on 5 LF EE eggs, she's gonna be a good momma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by