Silkie w/swollen face. Update: May have figured it out. pine shavings?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michellelei1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. michellelei1

michellelei1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I have a 4 mos. old silkie with a swollen face. She has not been exposed to any other birds. She was originally with two other silkies that turned out to be roos(came all at the same time from mypetchicken) and were rehomed a couple weeks ago. She's been indoors due to the fact that she's by herself right now. We do take her outside to play so I don't know if she could have picked up something from outside. We are always with her. Her cage is kept very clean.

One side of her face is swollen by the wattle area and other side is swollen under her eye. The swelling is not very big and at first I wasn't sure but it's gotten a tiny bit worse since yesterday.

I noticed what I think is a very tiny tiny bit of drainage out of her nostrils.

She is eating well.

Pooping well and it appears normal.

She is active and acting normal.

Also, she has still been getting medicated feed mixed with her other pellets.

I just want to catch whatever is going on before it gets worse. What should I do to treat her? Any help is appreciated.

I have Baytril on hand. Should I use it? and how much?
    I have VetRx and Apple cidar vinegar.

Here are some pictures. The swelling is mild but concerning to me. One picture shows where her wattle is swollen(she hasn't really developed any wattles so I know this is swelling, the other side is not like that) and the other picture shows some swelling right below her eye) on the other side of her face.

I also checked the slit in her beak and it is clear. I see no drainage or anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I sure wish I could help you out, this is not something I am familiar with.

Do you think there is any way you could post a pic of her face? I bet that would help out these smart chicken folk a bunch if you could.

Good luck and hope she gets better![​IMG]

3. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Thanks! I'm really hoping someone here can help. She is our baby and loved dearly. I would hate for something to happen to her. [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    So glad you got her pic on. She is precious!

Hopefully threehorses will be on tonight-she knows her stuff. She is usually on late.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I would give her three or four drops of polyvisol enfamil (not the one with the extra iron) in beak once a day for a week then taper off the next. This is a childrens liquid A-B-D vitamin.
    If she has no other respiratory symptoms I would hold off on any meds and see if this does the trick.

6. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    Thanks I'll try that. She's still the same today. The swelling hasn't gotten worse but hasn't gone down either.

She had a bit more drainage from her nostrils this morning but that's it. It seems to have cleared up now. I noticed that yesterday too.

Everything else is the same. [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If you have oxine then you can mist the area she is staying a few times a day with that.

8. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    I'd say to be on the safe side I would treat her with Sulmet.
    It's an antiseptic that contains sulfur.
    It wouldn't hurt her and might clear up whatever the problem is.
    You can get it at most feed stores about $12

Good luck with your sweet lil silkie [​IMG]

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Any change? Hope she's doing better.[​IMG]

10. michellelei1

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    She's not any worse. I noticed last night that it was a bit puffier around the eye but that has gone down this morning.
    She was sneezing last night but that was after I was poking around her beak to see if there was anything in there and she hasn't sneezed since.

I'm wondering if she bruised her face. I currently have her in a large metal dog crate while her new friends are quarantined(I didnt want to leave her by herself in the coop, she was going nuts). She recently lost her buddies (turned into roos) and if she's left in the dog crate, she paces and she sticks her head through the bars. Maybe she's hitting her face too hard when she does this.

I'm baffled, she's got no other symptoms and is the most active silkie I have ever seen. She's eating well and pooping well. She's becoming a very spoiled chicken and loving it. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by