Silkie wakes up with both eyes sealed shut, need information

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ghigbee, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ghigbee

ghigbee New Egg

May 6, 2010
    I have a pretty good size flock of different breeds. One group is 4 Blue Splash Silkies that are about 5 months old and they have a 3-4 month old Slate turkey that runs with them (almost the same color). One of the Silkies has been waking up for the last 4 days or so with her eyes sealed shut with a crusty formation. When I clean the crust off it seems that there may be a green gooey under her closed lids (probably indicative of an infection). I don't see any tiny critters or anything but I can't figure out what I need to do for her. As far as I can tell she's eating and drinking fine. They are free range so I don't know that for sure. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Just dab a little neosporin on the eyes 2 or 3 times a day, should clear it right up. I had the same thing and it worked for me. Good luck

3. ghigbee

ghigbee New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Thanks. Any idea what the problem was? Any idea if it's contagious? I'd hate to have to treat the entire flock. I have around thirty birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by