Silkie went broody, tempted to let her hatch eggs!

KristaChickenWhisperer

Songster
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
Lake Stevens, WA
So I live in Western, WA.

Our winter so far has been pretty hit and miss. Some weeks it will be warm, and others it will be cold.

My silkie has gone broody and I told myself that as soon as one went broody I would let her hatch some chicks. I am wondering if it would be worth it to do it in the winter? My coop is pretty well set up for winter conditions and I could always move mommy and babies inside if needed. Would love some advice! I want nothing more than to see my adorable silkie raise up some chicks!

Hey there
frow.gif
from far west of you!

I would say do it. . . We're going through some tough frosty moments right now, and still have broody hens who are doing very well. In fact, that last coldsnap we had a while ago I had a broody hen and two age groups of chicks go through. I had 4 lost because the power went out and they kind of huddled each other to death, but if you're prepared. . . Go for it.
smile.png

I'd let her go for it. You might want to limit the number of eggs that you let her sit though so you can be sure she can cover them really well AND so that she'll still be able to get all the chicks tucked under her when they're a couple of weeks old. Given our unpredictable weather here in the pnw there's no telling what things will be like so better safe then sorry. As long as momma and her brood have a dry draft free place to hang out in I'm sure they'll be fine.

I don't have any broodies right now, but I was amazed at how well the early March hatches did. The momma hens would take chicks that were only a few days old out in the wind and rain, but when the chicks started their "I'm COLD" chirp momma hen would squat down and all the chicks would get under her for a quick warm up and then they'd be off again.

Back
Top Bottom