Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

AngBantamLuv

Songster
May 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
good to know! I've never seen something so small so energetic, but I guess she *is* almost 7wo, and my big girls were that age when their pecking order scuffles became a bit more obvious. I keep thinking they're younger than they actually are because of how tiny they are!

I can't get over how cute they are, I need more bantams!
Hah! No more bantams 🤣 for either of us!!
I only know bantams, so when i see GIANT 2 week old chicks that are the size of my 6 month olds, i think there's no way i could have a full size chicken!! But mine were chest bumping and running around crazy.. i think it just means they are happy, living a good chicken life.

Tonyroo

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
N. California
Can you believe was still up at 1:15am researching Silkies, lol x_o

The good news is, dustmop chick was in good spirits this morning and very active!

They don’t drink much water, I wonder if that’s normal?

Here are some better photos! I did my best for dust mop...
Her crest probably is very inacurrate since I chopped off a bunch of head feathers yesterday 😅
Just looking at your dust mop. One would think it's an plush ornament. When you mentioned clipping some head feathers, I thought where is the head? lol Till I noticed a tiny beak sticking out.

yakitori

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
New York
Just looking at your dust mop. One would think it's an plush ornament. When you mentioned clipping some head feathers, I thought where is the head? lol Till I noticed a tiny beak sticking out.
She’s really perked up since then. I’m now looking back at her photos from a few days ago where she was huddled up and flopping around... she was so pitiful :(

Look she has a neck now!

Attachments

AngBantamLuv

Songster
May 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
She’s really perked up since then. I’m now looking back at her photos from a few days ago where she was huddled up and flopping around... she was so pitiful :(

Look she has a neck now!
You know... i think i would give her a little feather cut in front of her eyes. Since she is in a new environment, itll help her get situated better... she is just tooooo cute. I cannot wait to know which of my bantam cochins ends up female and frizzled!!!!

yakitori

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
New York
You know... i think i would give her a little feather cut in front of her eyes. Since she is in a new environment, itll help her get situated better... she is just tooooo cute. I cannot wait to know which of my bantam cochins ends up female and frizzled!!!!
ooooh! Do you know that you have a frizzle for sure?

For her vision impairing fluff, I'm actually letting them grow out a bit so I can slick them back instead. I realized that after I cut them the first time, that, while it's short, it's not short enough to give her clear vision. It's also kind of jabby when it's short :( I read on another thread that you could pluck them too.... but I don't dare!

AngBantamLuv

Songster
May 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
ooooh! Do you know that you have a frizzle for sure?

For her vision impairing fluff, I'm actually letting them grow out a bit so I can slick them back instead. I realized that after I cut them the first time, that, while it's short, it's not short enough to give her clear vision. It's also kind of jabby when it's short :( I read on another thread that you could pluck them too.... but I don't dare!
They have the frizzle gene for sure, but as i understand it, only some will have actual frizzle feathers.. so i have to wait a little bit, maybe a couple weeks to find out. I really hope i have one girl at least.. hate to bond and then have to give boys away :(

I wouldn't pluck them either.. maybe if it was a one time deal, and only in an emergency, but otherwise i couldn't do it. I couldn't even pull the recommended number of fluff feathers for my silkies dna tests 🤣 was hyperventilating before each pluck!!

yakitori

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
New York
They have the frizzle gene for sure, but as i understand it, only some will have actual frizzle feathers.. so i have to wait a little bit, maybe a couple weeks to find out. I really hope i have one girl at least.. hate to bond and then have to give boys away :(

I wouldn't pluck them either.. maybe if it was a one time deal, and only in an emergency, but otherwise i couldn't do it. I couldn't even pull the recommended number of fluff feathers for my silkies dna tests 🤣 was hyperventilating before each pluck!!
Do you have a thread where I can stalk your babies? I want to see them grow up!

AngBantamLuv

Songster
May 9, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Let me know when you do!
Thank you for sharing Minnie Mouse! I just gave my guineas away, and it really cheered me up :D
I love how guineas look, but im not sure they'd be the best fit for me... but back in my ranch dreaming days.. i was very excited about possibly getting heirloom turkeys!! ..... i swear you better not get turkeys!!🤣

Top Bottom