Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Pics

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I got a silkie (?) and a frizzle today, and I’m hoping to have them join my flock of 5 when they get a little bigger. the lady had a lot of silkies/show birds but I decided to pick a frizzle that didn’t look like it was doing too well, and another one who actually had feathers as I do want it to be able to roost up with the other chickens.

I think it would be too early for gender, but I’ll take whatever you guys can give me on my some what mystery purchase.

The frizzle is a ball if fluff... I hope it’ll make it, but it hasn’t moved much aside from eating a lot when I placed the food bowl infront of him/her...

AC979BC4-C980-4AB7-B6CC-D686FC472AD8.jpeg 3D2BF63E-3522-4F93-85A8-547BBDDA24A5.jpeg 3D2BF63E-3522-4F93-85A8-547BBDDA24A5.jpeg 68EE6F51-2489-44DE-BB02-461E0F254DDD.jpeg 992349EE-389C-4C12-ACEB-1C0B08ED8443.jpeg A92C7C96-0EB6-4A06-BD7A-2455D2F54193.jpeg 95D3EF76-9838-42BF-9B0A-39B516CBD3D0.jpeg E9AA0205-DC09-4287-9BAB-1D4266EF8EA3.jpeg CD639D78-9453-4C82-8C38-9D2D28FA4166.jpeg

Silkies can come in frizzle. It's just a feather type. But there is no way in the world I could tell you if yours is a male or female but I can say it looks like a dust bunny has rolled up next to your food bowl! Ha,ha!
The white one does look mixed to me also. kinda looking pullet like. Can you take a picture of it standing on a surface?

So frizzle and smooth (satin) are both variations of silkie mixes that were bred at some point to a bantam cochin. Cochins and polish can be frizzles as well. It is the feather type.
Some breeders continue to breed back the satin to a silkie for many generations. The idea is to maintain the other silkie qualities, but retain the smooth or frizzled feathers. Depending on how many generations there have been since the original cross, the birds can be over 90% silkie, but not 100% because of the feathering.:)
They are both pretty birds you have!

Silkies can come in frizzle. It's just a feather type. But there is no way in the world I could tell you if yours is a male or female but I can say it looks like a dust bunny has rolled up next to your food bowl! Ha,ha!
The white one does look mixed to me also. kinda looking pullet like. Can you take a picture of it standing on a surface?
Oooh, I'll take a photo tomorrow morning! I've put them to bed (dark room) for the day and don't want to bother them too much on their first day home.

I would also guess both are silkie mixes from a sizzle project.

....sizzle? I presume this has nothing to do with bbq right? 😅

So frizzle and smooth (satin) are both variations of silkie mixes that were bred at some point to a bantam cochin. Cochins and polish can be frizzles as well. It is the feather type.
Some breeders continue to breed back the satin to a silkie for many generations. The idea is to maintain the other silkie qualities, but retain the smooth or frizzled feathers. Depending on how many generations there have been since the original cross, the birds can be over 90% silkie, but not 100% because of the feathering.:)
They are both pretty birds you have!
wow, that's a lot to wrap my head around 🤪
so bantam cochins were originally silkies?

I love the white one! The lady also had the fully fluffy silkies, but they seemed like cockerels, - slightly red comb (or where the comb should be) - so I passed on those. Plus this white one was so calm and sat in my hands that I had to take him/her home.

Oooh, I'll take a photo tomorrow morning! I've put them to bed (dark room) for the day and don't want to bother them too much on their first day home.

I love the white one! The lady also had the fully fluffy silkies, but they seemed like cockerels, - slightly red comb (or where the comb should be) - so I passed on those. Plus this white one was so calm and sat in my hands that I had to take him/her home.
Sizzle is a frizzled silkie just with a shorter name.
And lol I messed up. I know Cochins aren’t the only variety of frizzle. I misspoke XD.

No it’s opposite😊 your satin (smooth) has a Cochin somewhere in the background most likely.

Back
Top Bottom