Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Hmm I'd guess maybe it's just because lack of experience seeing as she couldn't see well for so long. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give her a little beak trim though. I use a human nail clipper to trim beaks when needed. I clip the excess off then clip the two sides a bit to round it. It helps to have someone else hold while you clip. :)

I'm glad the garden outing went well, they are just the cutest! :love

Hmm I'd guess maybe it's just because lack of experience seeing as she couldn't see well for so long. It certainly wouldn't hurt to give her a little beak trim though. I use a human nail clipper to trim beaks when needed. I clip the excess off then clip the two sides a bit to round it. It helps to have someone else hold while you clip. :)

I'm glad the garden outing went well, they are just the cutest! :love

I'm scared but I'll give it a try! I have nail clippers for my cat and normal nail clippers, which one would be better? and do I clip horizontally across the top beak or vertically (like with a cat's claw?)

I'm also going to check her toenails, because I just read that those could get too long too if a chicken is more sedentary. I wonder if that's what's giving her a hard time walking.

I'm scared but I'll give it a try! I have nail clippers for my cat and normal nail clippers, which one would be better? and do I clip horizontally across the top beak or vertically (like with a cat's claw?)

I'm also going to check her toenails, because I just read that those could get too long too if a chicken is more sedentary. I wonder if that's what's giving her a hard time walking.

I like the human nail clippers personally for it but the cat ones might be fine too. I clip horizontally across the beak first. Then round out the sides with a couple more clips. I've heard using a nail file to round it out works as well but I haven't tried it.

A lot of times when the beak is a little overgrown the nails will be too so it would be a good idea to check them. :)

I like the human nail clippers personally for it but the cat ones might be fine too. I clip horizontally across the beak first. Then round out the sides with a couple more clips. I've heard using a nail file to round it out works as well but I haven't tried it.

A lot of times when the beak is a little overgrown the nails will be too so it would be a good idea to check them. :)
Oh! that wasn’t too bad. I did it in little clips, like I would a human nail and slowly trimmed it down.

Thank you! I don’t know what I’d do without your help 🥰

So they’re out in the garden again today. Her activity level has gone way up, overall she seems much more alert. :wee

I took a closer look at her toes and realized that her back toes on her left leg is paralyzed/can’t grip. I wonder if it can be fixed 😩

So they’re out in the garden again today. Her activity level has gone way up, overall she seems much more alert. :wee

I took a closer look at her toes and realized that her back toes on her left leg is paralyzed/can’t grip. I wonder if it can be fixed 😩

Aww so glad to hear she has really perked up! :)

Hmm that is odd about the toes. With silkies not being the best at roosting anyway hopefully it won't affect her much even if it can't be fixed. Mine pretty much just snuggle together on the coop floor.

Maybe just making sure she is getting good nutrition over time will help. Silkies can be prone to vitamin deficiencies and although it mostly manifests as wry neck I think it can sometimes vary. Probably not a vitamin deficiency but it shouldn't hurt to boost her vitamins for a small bit.

Back toes? They usually only use three toes of the five to grip.
Silkie-chicken-five-toes.JPG

Last edited:
Back toes? They usually only use the three times of the five to grip. View attachment 2346639

Ah, my frizzle's left feet looks just like the one in the photo! it points backwards and is out of commission. her right legs works just fine though, that's so weird!

Maybe just making sure she is getting good nutrition over time will help. Silkies can be prone to vitamin deficiencies and although it mostly manifests as wry neck I think it can sometimes vary. Probably not a vitamin deficiency but it shouldn't hurt to boost her vitamins for a small bit.

Looks like the toe thing is a common occurrence 😅

I'm currently giving them fermented feed with tumeric added for a natural immune system boost, I tried adding garlic, but the smooth satin doesn't like it, haha. I'll have to head to tractor supply tomorrow to stock up on more feed and get vitamins and electrolytes. Are there any other first aid items I should have on hand?

Ah, my frizzle's left feet looks just like the one in the photo! it points backwards and is out of commission. her right legs works just fine though, that's so weird!

Looks like the toe thing is a common occurrence 😅

I'm currently giving them fermented feed with tumeric added for a natural immune system boost, I tried adding garlic, but the smooth satin doesn't like it, haha. I'll have to head to tractor supply tomorrow to stock up on more feed and get vitamins and electrolytes. Are there any other first aid items I should have on hand?

Oh I misunderstood I thought maybe you were referring to the 1st and 3rd toes and the middle one was working. Yeah the 4th and 5th toes really aren't very useful, I've never noticed any of my silkies being able to move those toes. :lol:

The standard actually calls for that 5th toe to be sweeping upwards and backwards like that so it's very common in silkies. :)

Back
Top Bottom