Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Pics
Oh you enabler 😆
I'd love to see your set up, link me!
That top part is the coop section. It is 2'x2'.. and theres room to spare with them all in there. Then they have the "run" area downstairs.. but you could just buy that doggie play pen that's in the pic and make a yard outside the doghouse for them. It even has a mini gate!!
20200827_155754.jpg

Oh, you want enabling?? Look what i got today... 2 bantam cochins (confirmed from another thread, self blue and red!!), and 2 mystery chicks -- i think one might be a sebright, Not sure tho!! Only 2 days old!!
20200925_163005.jpg
20200925_161552.jpg
20200925_161641.jpg
20200925_161608.jpg
20200925_161706.jpg

That top part is the coop section. It is 2'x2'.. and theres room to spare with them all in there. Then they have the "run" area downstairs.. but you could just buy that doggie play pen that's in the pic and make a yard outside the doghouse for them. It even has a mini gate!!
View attachment 2348802

Oh, you want enabling?? Look what i got today... 2 bantam cochins (confirmed from another thread, self blue and red!!), and 2 mystery chicks -- i think one might be a sebright, Not sure tho!! Only 2 days old!!
View attachment 2348806View attachment 2348807View attachment 2348808View attachment 2348809View attachment 2348810
:love:love:love ermagawd they're so effing adorable! :love:love:love
You're totally giving me ideas. The dog house I have is 27in x 38in x 36in and it's SOLID. I plan on raising it off the ground with some 4x4 posts, then I just need to solve the ventilation problem, attach a door and a ramp.... I was even thinking of building it a little balcony... I'll stop there, lol.

Where did you get your bantams? I've seen them at TSC, but they're always straight run :(

:love:love:love ermagawd they're so effing adorable! :love:love:love
You're totally giving me ideas. The dog house I have is 27in x 38in x 36in and it's SOLID. I plan on raising it off the ground with some 4x4 posts, then I just need to solve the ventilation problem, attach a door and a ramp.... I was even thinking of building it a little balcony... I'll stop there, lol.

Where did you get your bantams? I've seen them at TSC, but they're always straight run :(
Bantams are straight run everywhere.. they are too little to distinguish.. but i use the "females feather first" thought.. and have had wonderful luck.. it only works for days 0-4.. look for flight feathers that stick out from the fluff.. but that won't work for silkies of course. I did grab the self blue cochin because it was the only self blue.. but i don't think it's wing feathers are long enough to be a girl.. but maybe. But the others have definite wing feathers that are sticking out.

Bantams are straight run everywhere.. they are too little to distinguish.. but i use the "females feather first" thought.. and have had wonderful luck.. it only works for days 0-4.. look for flight feathers that stick out from the fluff.. but that won't work for silkies of course. I did grab the self blue cochin because it was the only self blue.. but i don't think it's wing feathers are long enough to be a girl.. but maybe. But the others have definite wing feathers that are sticking out.

Oh good to know! I think I’ll be ready to experiment once I figure out where I can rehome future roosters 😆

Also your enabling was very successful... I’m going to make a trip out tomorrow and maybe get more silkies:oops:

Oh good to know! I think I’ll be ready to experiment once I figure out where I can rehome future roosters 😆

Also your enabling was very successful... I’m going to make a trip out tomorrow and maybe get more silkies:oops:
Actually, you have a bonded pair.. i would stick w those. Otherwise you need a brooder, baby feed, lamp, and have to keep them separate from the two you have.. they will not accept newchicks at this point . Your two are so cute, and young enough that you could very well have them for 10 years! You could also build out a primo setup since its just for them!!

Actually, you have a bonded pair.. i would stick w those. Otherwise you need a brooder, baby feed, lamp, and have to keep them separate from the two you have.. they will not accept newchicks at this point . Your two are so cute, and young enough that you could very well have them for 10 years! You could also build out a primo setup since its just for them!!

Oh! I’m going to the same place i got these two, (Changed appointment to monday) they were former broodmates... it should be okay right?

I introduced them to the big girls today, supervised... there were some pecking, but nothing too bad. Paint has a lot of pep! really quite the bouncy bird. but when she gets pecked by the big girls she goes and hides in Dustmop’s frizzles 😂😂😂

I’m suspecting “she” is a roo 😆

Attachments

• DCBECCCC-46A1-4D5C-9C41-CBDF49CDE61E.jpeg
    DCBECCCC-46A1-4D5C-9C41-CBDF49CDE61E.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 10
Oh! I’m going to the same place i got these two, (Changed appointment to monday) they were former broodmates... it should be okay right?

I introduced them to the big girls today, supervised... there were some pecking, but nothing too bad. Paint has a lot of pep! really quite the bouncy bird. but when she gets pecked by the big girls she goes and hides in Dustmop’s frizzles 😂😂😂

I’m suspecting “she” is a roo 😆
Ohhhh, i thought you meant itty bitty day olds.. if too much time hasn't passed, they should be fine! Can you post a close up of the beak/comb/crest on your questionable hen?

Ohhhh, i thought you meant itty bitty day olds.. if too much time hasn't passed, they should be fine! Can you post a close up of the beak/comb/crest on your questionable hen?

I just woke them up for their midnight meal (I’m trying to fatten dustmop up), so she’s probably not looking her best. pardon the chicken abuse photos😂 I had to geab her head, since she wouldn’t stay still...

I think she looks pullet for the most part, but sometimes during the day she’s very bouncy and active... I’ve never really seen it in my other birds. Or maybe she’s trying to chest puff dustmop for pecking order? I’m not sure why she would challenge dustmop though, she usually uses dustmop as a beak cleaner/place to hide/nuzzle buddy 😂

Attachments

• DC2D50E6-ECD6-49B1-AC35-BA5614A4522F.jpeg
    DC2D50E6-ECD6-49B1-AC35-BA5614A4522F.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 10
  • CEC2209C-A7AE-4E9E-BF5B-13F6DFC00033.jpeg
    CEC2209C-A7AE-4E9E-BF5B-13F6DFC00033.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 8911C1CD-CAB6-4EAE-A112-1D950A2C4072.jpeg
    8911C1CD-CAB6-4EAE-A112-1D950A2C4072.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 8
  • F4F2F9CB-C4A2-4E0B-A731-B2A9CC9C0F8E.jpeg
    F4F2F9CB-C4A2-4E0B-A731-B2A9CC9C0F8E.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 8
I just woke them up for their midnight meal (I’m trying to fatten dustmop up), so she’s probably not looking her best. pardon the chicken abuse photos😂 I had to geab her head, since she wouldn’t stay still...

I think she looks pullet for the most part, but sometimes during the day she’s very bouncy and active... I’ve never really seen it in my other birds. Or maybe she’s trying to chest puff dustmop for pecking order? I’m not sure why she would challenge dustmop though, she usually uses dustmop as a beak cleaner/place to hide/nuzzle buddy 😂
My guess is a pullet based on feathering and how it is standing.. the comb is not helpful because its a mix, but my silkies had the V shape (not where the skin hits the beak, but where the comb starts to thicken).. and were both girls. But nothing says roo to me on your chick. One of my silkies would literally charge out screaming and running to attack me when she was very young! I swore she was a roo, so did every one else.. but she turned into the sweetest gentlest thing ever! She is my late bloomer too.

good to know! I've never seen something so small so energetic, but I guess she *is* almost 7wo, and my big girls were that age when their pecking order scuffles became a bit more obvious. I keep thinking they're younger than they actually are because of how tiny they are!

I can't get over how cute they are, I need more bantams!

Back
Top Bottom