Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

Pics
good to know! I've never seen something so small so energetic, but I guess she *is* almost 7wo, and my big girls were that age when their pecking order scuffles became a bit more obvious. I keep thinking they're younger than they actually are because of how tiny they are!

I can't get over how cute they are, I need more bantams!
Hah! No more bantams 🤣 for either of us!!
I only know bantams, so when i see GIANT 2 week old chicks that are the size of my 6 month olds, i think there's no way i could have a full size chicken!! But mine were chest bumping and running around crazy.. i think it just means they are happy, living a good chicken life.

Can you believe was still up at 1:15am researching Silkies, lol x_o

The good news is, dustmop chick was in good spirits this morning and very active!

They don’t drink much water, I wonder if that’s normal?

Here are some better photos! I did my best for dust mop...
Her crest probably is very inacurrate since I chopped off a bunch of head feathers yesterday 😅

Just looking at your dust mop. One would think it's an plush ornament. When you mentioned clipping some head feathers, I thought where is the head? lol Till I noticed a tiny beak sticking out.

Just looking at your dust mop. One would think it's an plush ornament. When you mentioned clipping some head feathers, I thought where is the head? lol Till I noticed a tiny beak sticking out.
She’s really perked up since then. I’m now looking back at her photos from a few days ago where she was huddled up and flopping around... she was so pitiful :(

Look she has a neck now!

Attachments

• 317C3E7E-9CFB-44DB-A390-645CF7C21A1B.jpeg
    317C3E7E-9CFB-44DB-A390-645CF7C21A1B.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 11
  • B10069D2-FC22-4E23-8579-70329F4960E6.jpeg
    B10069D2-FC22-4E23-8579-70329F4960E6.jpeg
    710.6 KB · Views: 11
She’s really perked up since then. I’m now looking back at her photos from a few days ago where she was huddled up and flopping around... she was so pitiful :(

Look she has a neck now!
You know... i think i would give her a little feather cut in front of her eyes. Since she is in a new environment, itll help her get situated better... she is just tooooo cute. I cannot wait to know which of my bantam cochins ends up female and frizzled!!!!

You know... i think i would give her a little feather cut in front of her eyes. Since she is in a new environment, itll help her get situated better... she is just tooooo cute. I cannot wait to know which of my bantam cochins ends up female and frizzled!!!!
ooooh! Do you know that you have a frizzle for sure?

For her vision impairing fluff, I'm actually letting them grow out a bit so I can slick them back instead. I realized that after I cut them the first time, that, while it's short, it's not short enough to give her clear vision. It's also kind of jabby when it's short :( I read on another thread that you could pluck them too.... but I don't dare!

ooooh! Do you know that you have a frizzle for sure?

For her vision impairing fluff, I'm actually letting them grow out a bit so I can slick them back instead. I realized that after I cut them the first time, that, while it's short, it's not short enough to give her clear vision. It's also kind of jabby when it's short :( I read on another thread that you could pluck them too.... but I don't dare!
They have the frizzle gene for sure, but as i understand it, only some will have actual frizzle feathers.. so i have to wait a little bit, maybe a couple weeks to find out. I really hope i have one girl at least.. hate to bond and then have to give boys away :(

I wouldn't pluck them either.. maybe if it was a one time deal, and only in an emergency, but otherwise i couldn't do it. I couldn't even pull the recommended number of fluff feathers for my silkies dna tests 🤣 was hyperventilating before each pluck!!

They have the frizzle gene for sure, but as i understand it, only some will have actual frizzle feathers.. so i have to wait a little bit, maybe a couple weeks to find out. I really hope i have one girl at least.. hate to bond and then have to give boys away :(

I wouldn't pluck them either.. maybe if it was a one time deal, and only in an emergency, but otherwise i couldn't do it. I couldn't even pull the recommended number of fluff feathers for my silkies dna tests 🤣 was hyperventilating before each pluck!!
Do you have a thread where I can stalk your babies? I want to see them grow up!

Shoot!! I didn't even think of doing that!! I have them randomly posted places.. but after im done w my taxes 🤣 (i know it's September) i will make one!! I have LOTS!!

Here is my camera hog D'uccle.. Minnie Mouse 🐭 View attachment 2351718
Let me know when you do!
Thank you for sharing Minnie Mouse! I just gave my guineas away, and it really cheered me up :D

Let me know when you do!
Thank you for sharing Minnie Mouse! I just gave my guineas away, and it really cheered me up :D
I love how guineas look, but im not sure they'd be the best fit for me... but back in my ranch dreaming days.. i was very excited about possibly getting heirloom turkeys!! ..... i swear you better not get turkeys!!🤣

Back
Top Bottom