Silkie, what breed? What sex? Is he/she really 6weeks old?

If it helps, his broodmates were quite colorful. I didn’t ask about the lineage, so I’m not sure whether they came from the same parents. There was one particularly memorable one was calico (?)(sorry, I only know cat terms 😂).

I’ll attach the photo I was sent of the birds the lady sold, not all of them are in there though!

That little frizzle partridge definitely is looking like it has some red involved so it would make sense your little cutie got some red as well. I see the cuckoo siblings as well but I don't know much about cuckoo.

My little silver partridge boy has red leakage (I got him from paint eggs but the breeder believed someone had hopped the fence). I'm still guessing your cutie is perhaps influenced by partridge but may not have the full pattern and has red leakage (though the silver may just be leakage and not involved with partridge as well). The silver on your little ones chest/neck leads me to believe it is likely silver based rather than gold.

Colby.jpg

Calico is a term that can pretty much be used for a variety of tri colors. I've seen grays (silver partridge), splash, and paint all with red leakage being referred to as calico. The grays with the red leakage are also commonly called tortoiseshell. None are standard colors but gosh can they be pretty!

I'm actually hoping to work on paint and splash with red leakage to try for a calico effect as a fun side project. I've seen some stunning examples by other breeders.

ugh, I went to check on them tonight and new silkie is wheezing and hiccuping. His crop hasn’t gone down at all while the crop on the other two are near empty. I’m guessing it’s an impacted crop, and maybe something in his airway... He was so enthusiastically running around today I have no idea what he could have eaten. I’ve eyedroppered him some water with electrolyte. Then I read up on impacted crops and gave him some olive oil. Massaging his crop seems to soothe his wheezing somewhat. i can’t do anything else until morning.... this is so frustrating

I've heard that about the red on the wings pointing to cockerel as well but don't have much experience with it.

The rest is definitely looking pullet like so far. If this chick is also only around 6-7 weeks that is a bit early for seeing streamers though. Hopefully in another 6 weeks or so you'll know for sure. With that red/brown coming through on the wings and the other leakage looking more silver I'm hesitant to guess at gender despite the otherwise pullet like features.

Not sure about the color, looks mixed with maybe some sort of partridge influence (looks silver based with maybe some autosomal red coming through on the wings)? I'm not seeing barring though. I've got a black from paint with lots of silver leakage that has the silver coming through in kind of a similar manner in some places. I'd have to take another closer look at him to be sure but I remember seeing it and thinking it was funny how it came in like that.

I could definitely be wrong about color, I'm still learning and when it comes to colors other than paint I have little experience. :lol:
I'm sorry to hijack the post. But what would I get if I breed my paint roo to a blue colored hen? She is blue with tan neck and a black head.

ugh, I went to check on them tonight and new silkie is wheezing and hiccuping. His crop hasn’t gone down at all while the crop on the other two are near empty. I’m guessing it’s an impacted crop, and maybe something in his airway... He was so enthusiastically running around today I have no idea what he could have eaten. I’ve eyedroppered him some water with electrolyte. Then I read up on impacted crops and gave him some olive oil. Massaging his crop seems to soothe his wheezing somewhat. i can’t do anything else until morning.... this is so frustrating

Oh no, I'm so sorry about the little one, I hope it is an easy fix! :fl

I'm sorry to hijack the post. But what would I get if I breed my paint roo to a blue colored hen? She is blue with tan neck and a black head.

Hmmm depends on the genetics behind her color. She kind of sounds like a blue partridge or maybe has some partridge influence given that she has the tan neck. Sounds like she has a moorhead as well (involving the charcoal gene).

If she is carrying the partridge pattern then likely you won't see too much influence in the first generation as the partridge pattern is recessive (could pop up more in subsequent generations though). She'll likely give you similar babies as you would get with a regular blue over paint in the first generation. Which will be some blue, some black, some regular paints (black based), and some blue paints. The ground color of the parents may have an effect on the color as well. The tone of the white on the paints and the possibility of khaki leakage especially on the male offspring can be influenced by the ground color. Without knowing the ground color of the paint I can't say what ground color the offspring might have other than that the mother will give one copy of her gold ground color to her male offspring. The male offspring inherit one copy of ground color from their mothers and one from their fathers so they can be gold/gold, silver/gold or silver/silver. Females only have one ground color gene and always inherit it from the father so they are either silver or gold based.

I'm not sure how the moorhead will be inherited by the offspring. Dominant white (which is involved in paints) is good at blocking out black pigment other than the holes (spots) so I'm guessing you won't see the darker head on the paint offspring. Blues naturally have darker heads anyway and I'm guessing the blacks will be too dark to notice the moorhead. Honestly I don't know much about how the charcoal gene works though or too much about partridge so take what I say with a grain of salt. :lol:

In summary the first generation you should get approximately 25% blue, 25% black, 25% blue paint, 25% paint (regular black based paint).

This is assuming your paint has no recessive genes hiding (like partridge).

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful. It can be hard trying to determine what colors you might get when mixing color varieties.

She’s doing much better now, her wheezing has stopped and her crop has slowly emptied. I don’t know whether the oil or the massage helped, or whether she did it on her own. the hiccuping is almost gone too. I’ve been giving her electrolytes, then a little acv in her water. Hopefully she’ll be back to normal by tomorrow morning. :fl

Hmmm depends on the genetics behind her color. She kind of sounds like a blue partridge or maybe has some partridge influence given that she has the tan neck. Sounds like she has a moorhead as well (involving the charcoal gene).

If she is carrying the partridge pattern then likely you won't see too much influence in the first generation as the partridge pattern is recessive (could pop up more in subsequent generations though). She'll likely give you similar babies as you would get with a regular blue over paint in the first generation. Which will be some blue, some black, some regular paints (black based), and some blue paints. The ground color of the parents may have an effect on the color as well. The tone of the white on the paints and the possibility of khaki leakage especially on the male offspring can be influenced by the ground color. Without knowing the ground color of the paint I can't say what ground color the offspring might have other than that the mother will give one copy of her gold ground color to her male offspring. The male offspring inherit one copy of ground color from their mothers and one from their fathers so they can be gold/gold, silver/gold or silver/silver. Females only have one ground color gene and always inherit it from the father so they are either silver or gold based.

I'm not sure how the moorhead will be inherited by the offspring. Dominant white (which is involved in paints) is good at blocking out black pigment other than the holes (spots) so I'm guessing you won't see the darker head on the paint offspring. Blues naturally have darker heads anyway and I'm guessing the blacks will be too dark to notice the moorhead. Honestly I don't know much about how the charcoal gene works though or too much about partridge so take what I say with a grain of salt. :lol:

In summary the first generation you should get approximately 25% blue, 25% black, 25% blue paint, 25% paint (regular black based paint).

This is assuming your paint has no recessive genes hiding (like partridge).

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful. It can be hard trying to determine what colors you might get when mixing color varieties.
Id be happy to have a blue paint! Lol

She’s doing much better now, her wheezing has stopped and her crop has slowly emptied. I don’t know whether the oil or the massage helped, or whether she did it on her own. the hiccuping is almost gone too. I’ve been giving her electrolytes, then a little acv in her water. Hopefully she’ll be back to normal by tomorrow morning. :fl

Aww that is great news! So glad to hear she is on the mend! :)

She just pooped a huge one! I’ve never so happy to see a giant stinky poop!

She also ate for the first time in 24 hours. I didn’t give her much, just some starter mash, she’s looking for grit, seems like she knows what she needs. Whew.

78C649F0-FCFF-4A2B-A216-C655FE0FC6E5.jpeg

I guess I love silkies, but it's been one thing after another. one of frizzle's eyes wouldn't open fully today. it looks swollen (hard to tell because it's just... black). I dabbed it with a 0.9% saline solution and confined her to colander next to me while I work. I'm seriously considering plucking the hair around her eyes because she's *always* scratching at it. I can only hope it doesn't get worse.

On the bright side Maybe-cuckoo has made a full recovery
:wee
For a bird with no feathers and all fluff, she thinks she can fly...always jumping out of my hands while I'm standing up. she even jumped out of the big girls coop (4ft above ground) before I could bring her down today.

Frizzle's feathers bother me (and her), why do they sweep upwards like this instead of down? All the images of frizzles I see have normal down sweeping neck feathers.
actually, now that I've googled more images I see that they do sweep upwards sometimes. :barnie

=================update=================
Okay, after 2 saline washes (read: dabbed with cotton ball). she can open her eye fully now, there's a bit of white discharge/mucus, but it's bed time, so we'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Attachments

• 73EC52EF-1B8F-4202-8523-BAC6E439701E.jpeg
    73EC52EF-1B8F-4202-8523-BAC6E439701E.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 4
  • A771CA16-A39B-41AE-A9B3-008F1E82BB1F.jpeg
    A771CA16-A39B-41AE-A9B3-008F1E82BB1F.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom