Silkie, what color is my boy? Partridge?

AmyJ

Songster
14 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Wallkill, NY
I was looking on here for pictures of blue partridge, someone said I would get blue partridge if I bred my two silkies together. I know I have a blue girl and thought I had a partridge boy. In seeing other pics on here, I am not sure my boy is partridge. The other partridge silkies I see on here are a lot darker in color. So just wondering if he is, if not what color is he?

Heres some picture of him:

21539_dsc02578.jpg

21539_dsc02580.jpg

Heres a couple of my blue girl:

21539_dsc02526.jpg

21539_dsc02527.jpg

Hi Amy! I think he might be a mix of colors.....I've had a partridge, and it's a bit more on the brown side. But he's really cute tho!
smile.png

Quote:
Ok so he is not partridge! These are my first silkies so I have no idea on color. I got them both as chicks and was told thats what they were. Yes I was just wondering what color offspring they would have. My kids love the silkies and my nieces are in love too, so I was thinking next year of hatching a couple of chicks from them, but dont know what color they would be.

Well, depending on whether your blue girls are silver or gold gened, you may get greys or goldens; but in either case, the penciling will be incomplete. Also, the autosomal red will pass to the offspring, so none will be a truly correct colouring.

Quote:
I'm so glad you know all about genetics etc. I have no idea and am still trying to figure it out lol. Thanks for all your help:) So now I am thinking maybe I dont want to hatch any eggs from them. I think maybe Id rather get some eggs and hatch them next year. Maybe get more blues, so if I did want to in the future I would at least have an accepted color. I usually let my broodies hatch them as they do a better job then me lol. What colors would you suggest getting? I know with the blues you could get b/b/s so I would have a few different colors then.

Back
Top Bottom