Silkie... what color would you call this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jjaazzy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    I am new to the chicken world and would love to have your advice. I got my silkie chicks from a local breeder in my area. The breeder is very into exotics. Black swans and all sorts of neat stuff. Anyway I have this rooster and I have searched high and low and have not seen a rooster with his coloring. Wanted to ask you all what your thoughts were. What do you call this, is it a desirable color. Just to help out cause I don't think the picture is showing the colors well. The tail flume is emerald green, like you see with bigger type breeds, and I notice that some of the body is starting to turn green too. The neck has silver or white pin feathers. Very pretty. Would love to hear your thoughts....... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    He is a Good looking Roo. As far as color I would say a mix[​IMG]

3. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Are you saying you think he was mixed with a different type of chicken? A non silkie? Is that something that people try to do to come up with other colors?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I think they are saying a color mix. I had some that looked similar to that and they were called grays.

5. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    hummm so much to learn, I am going to try and go to the county fair this coming week and try and gather some intel....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by