Silkie with an injured leg

helene2198

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
ohio
I was recently give a flock of silkies, including one with an injured leg. She will not use her left leg at all, she just uses her wing to try and prop herself up. Here's what I know...

1.She has no signs of injury to the leg and the lady who gave her to me did not see her get injured. There is no swelling, no heat, and the leg feels normal ( to me) no popping sounds. The leg is not hanging funny,, its just not working.

2. Her appetite is good. At first she seemed to be losing weight,, but it may have just been her inability to reach the food well. She's eating watered down cream of wheat with some scratch grains in it a few times a day. I only water it down so that she gets enough fluids since she cant reach them herself.

3. She has no signs of disease. Her eyes are clear, poop is normal, no sign of mites, not eggbound, and crop looks normal

4. She is pleasant and living in a basket indoors. It has been over a week since she walked on that leg.

My question is... how long can her leg take to heal? Since I don't really know what's wrong,, how long is too long to keep her alive? She cannot leave the basket and rejoin the flock... but shes suck a good girl that I hate to have to put her down. I am hopeful that she regains enough use to have a semi normal life with her fluffy friends.. but Im not seeing any improvement yet.. has anyone had a similar experience?

Have you given any consideration to using a chick chair.? It would give her leg time to heal if it were due to an injury...maybe try soaking her leg in an Epsom Salt solution for 15 minutes..she should have regular massage to her legs to ensure the muscles are kept in good condition..you can try giving her Vitamin B and E supplements...they are goof for leg problems...

How old is the chicken ?

Please keep us informed of any progress/deterioration in her..

Thanks!

She is less than a year old,, about 9 months I believe... She is having regular warm baths,,, she has to to keep her bum clean... and is taking a chicken vitamin. I also give her a little glucosamine and chondroitin. I do work her leg gently during the day so it doesn't stiffen. she just refuses to use it all the way from her hip down. I have not tried a chicken chair but will look into getting one as well as the Epsom salt.. She is in much better condition now than when I got her on Thurs... so hopefully it will stay that way.. Thanks for the ideas/advice!!!

Suzie... I am going to try and make a chair,,, do they stay in there all the time? or just for a portion of the day?

It is a better idea to keep her in the chick chair as long as possible...she will need monitoring with feed and water...as she may fall forward into her water container if it is accessible at all times...better to give her feed and water and remove them from her reach when she has eaten and had access to water...the idea being to rest her feet above ground level to help with the healing....you can make a chair from an upturned cardboard box...line it with towelling..make holes for her feet and one for her poop....chickenzoo has a wonderful diagram for one...maybe ask her to provide the diagram by sending her a p.m.

I do wish you both well!

If I can be of further help...let me know...Silkie's are so dear to my heart...as she will be with you...they seem to know when we are trying to help them..the bond you develop with her is so worthwhile and rewarding to you both...do check her leg to see if there is any discolouration...any sign of a green tinge would indicate that she may have bruising which may be the cause of her not using her leg...

We made her a makeshift chair out of an old t shirt. Her legs are just hanging above the bottom of the basket. I feel better with her in there,, now she cant flail around and hurt herself. First thing tomorrow, I will work on a better one.
I have checked a few times for bruises or swelling,, also heat,, and cant see any reason for her not to be using the leg. Other than that she seems alert and happy. Shes eating fine,, and no other signs of any illness.
We have several differnt kinds of chickens,, and only had 3 silkies until last week when I aquired this flock with 5 silkies, 2 cochins, and 3 cochin frizzles. The other9 birds have been in quaranteen since Thurs and seem to be happy and healthy. We will be moving them into their permanent housing this weekend.
I too like the silkies a lot,, they are very different from our other birds.. and I LOVE that they "talk" to you. I just feel so bad for her.. She is so sweet.. so I really want to give her every chance to get better.

I really appreciate your help and will keep you updated!
Helene

Bad news Im afraid.. we lost the "injured" silkie,, and also, the rest of the flock is slowly dying off. 3 others have since passed.. luckily I never did expose them to my existing flock. Of course, the lady who gave them to me has stopped emailing,, I suspect that she knew they were sick.

The 2nd one developed a large mass near her bum.. and slowly stopped eating. The next day I found the third one laying in the yard.. still alive,, he made it another day and a half, and passed away. The fourth one was similar, he was laying down,, but still eating and drinking and would get up if prompted. He seemed to be improving,, but this evening I went to check on him and he was dying,, stiffening on one side.. What in the world could these poor chickens have? I have looked up every disease,, but cant find a clear answer. I am considering putting down the rest of the flock. As of now they seem to be ok,, one is a litte thin ( but eating) so I fear she is next. Any advice would be appreciated. I have never lost a bird,, this is very disheartening...

So sorry to hear that your Silkie didn't make it, also to the other chickens you acquired...I don't wish to alarm you but maybe you should check out this website...it may help in diagnosing what the problem may be with your new chickens;

www.rightdiagnosis.com

search for symptoms of Mareks disease...there are 15 symptoms listed.

It is awful when we have no idea of how to treat some of our ailing flocks...if you do suspect Mareks there are some wonderfully supportive threads here on BYC on the subject...

The only way you will know for sure what the illness is...is to have one of them sent for necropsy

casportpony can help you out with the details of sending a bird for necropsy

Again, I am so sorry for what you are going through

Back
Top Bottom