Silkie with bent toes now looks black and dry! Please help if you’re in Calgary!

JuicyDropDragon

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2019
0E4F6A07-CDA3-4580-B77C-F5C88DFC2D9C.jpeg
9E9C5D86-A850-4315-95EA-9922731F9E9C.jpeg
My 2month old female silkie has had deformed feet from her hatching, and we did make them slightly better but they seem to have rotated knuckles that halt our progress. Today I noticed on her worse foot the large toe was black at the end and the nail was as well, similar to charred tissue or dead tissue. It’s hard to the touch and not soft in any part of the black spot but just above the black spot the toe is slightly white and swollen. If you know of any vet I could take her to that’s near Calgary or in Calgary please help me out! Or if you have any advice as to what this might be please let me know! We love them both so much and would hate to have anything bad happen to either of them.

It looks like the black toe tip and nail have been frostbitten or the circulation has been cut off which can happen with crushing. Has it been below freezing there yet? If a toe gets wet it can become frostbitten if the temperature is cold enough. Usually, when this happens, the toe and nail will eventually fall off. I would dab some iodine or other antiseptic on it daily.

It looks like the black toe tip and nail have been frostbitten or the circulation has been cut off which can happen with crushing. Has it been below freezing there yet? If a toe gets wet it can become frostbitten if the temperature is cold enough. Usually, when this happens, the toe and nail will eventually fall off. I would dab some iodine or other antiseptic on it daily.
It has gotten below freezing however they are entirely indoor chickens. They haven’t been exposed to freezing temperatures at all.

I just wanted to mention, that someone had chicks shipped last winter, and after about 2 weeks, the person noticed the toes on one chick were looking dead and shriveling. She found out that the toes were damaged during shipping, since the chicks had always been under a heat lamp since they had arrived. This may not be what caused the black to here, but just a thought.

I just wanted to mention, that someone had chicks shipped last winter, and after about 2 weeks, the person noticed the toes on one chick were looking dead and shriveling. She found out that the toes were damaged during shipping, since the chicks had always been under a heat lamp since they had arrived. This may not be what caused the black to here, but just a thought.
Silkies are actually prone to deformed toes. I have a Silkie Cochin cross with totally deformed toes on one foot. I named her Noodles..:lol:

A chick vitamin containing riboflavin (vitamin B2) might be helpful, but crooked toes can be permanent at 2 months. If you taped the toes with shoes, that may have helped early on. Usually at this stage, they become permanently a problem.

A chick vitamin containing riboflavin (vitamin B2) might be helpful, but crooked toes can be permanent at 2 months. If you taped the toes with shoes, that may have helped early on. Usually at this stage, they become permanently a problem.
She was young but her foot definitely was fused in that position. She gets around perfectly fine. Sometimes trips but runs and Roosts like any other bird.
Noodles toes.
4691E503-1608-4ED1-81EE-174B61F93D4D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom