1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie with bleeding bulge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catsndogs4us, May 5, 2016.

1. catsndogs4us

catsndogs4us Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    I have a tiny silkie with a bulge, bleeding a bit near where I think the umbilical area would be. Something that looked like egg yolk eased out of it a bit. These chicks just arrived in the mail yesterday and one silkie passed right away now a second with what looks like a major problem. She does not have pasty butt and had been eating and drinking just looked a little more sleepy than the other chicks. Is there anything I can do? Should try to cover this bulge, if so what might work? I dabbed a tiny bit of Neosporin on it for now. Thanks for any help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not that experienced with chick hatching problems. I would wonder if it had part of it's yolk that was not absorbed, and it leaked out of the umbilicus. Or it could possibly be mushy chick disease. Hopefully someone else will add some information. In the meantime, can you post a picture of the chick's belly, and keep it clean with betadine.

3. catsndogs4us

catsndogs4us Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Thank you for trying to help. It became clear that she was going down hill fast so I stopped researching and just held her. This is our first time getting chicks in the mail and the silkies do not seem to have coped with their trip well. I doubt I will try this again. :-(

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your chick.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by