Silkie with broken neck? Can’t walk! Another died, now sickly chicks!?

askjcm2005

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
San Diego
Last week we got 12 silkie chicks ranging from a few days old to 3 weeks old. Yesterday we found a chick dead, no signs it was sick, nothing! The chick was maybe a week and a half old…I got home from work and my partridge (same age) was holding its neck like maybe it hurt and was favoring it and would walk in circles. This morning I checked on them and the partridge’s neck was turned around in a 180 degree, the top of its head was touching the floor and its beak was facing straight up. Last night it could walk, eat and drink and this morning it couldn’t walk, wasn’t drinking probably because it couldn’t get around but it was trying to eat and would barely waddle around. I knew it was suffering so I had my boyfriend shoot it. L Now 3 of the other chicks have a build up of poo around there bums that’s only getting worse. The oldest chicks seem to be fine. I also put the 2 oldest chicks out with my flock so I am praying all is going to be okay with them…Also, 1 chick has really messed up toes and keeps getting poo/food stuck to them and cant barely walk…

Last edited:
Thanks! I hope that wasnt all that was wrong and we shot it...
sad.png
But I was for sure it was suffereing...

Thanks for the info...

It sounds like "Wry Neck" which is the result of a vitamin deficiency -- Poly-vi-Sol children's liquid vitamins WITHOUT iron, B-12 and Vitamin E gel tabs -- puncture the gel tab and drip the liquid on it's beak.

Are you saying you shot the chick with wry neck? There is an excellent search feature here -- to the upper right side. Most chicken issues can be easily treated. There aren't many avian vets, so chicken owners have to educate themselves on solving the health issues of their flock. Most of us have a Chick First Aid Kit handy too.

Jenny

We did have it shot because we thought it was in a lot of pain and suffering. It seems as though it was... And it got dramatically worse in not even 12 hours. It was so bad the only thing I could think of was a broken neck and I couldnt leave it like that all day while I worked thinking it was broken and suffering. Guess I should have wated. Great!!!
sad.png
Thanks for your info...

The Silkie didn't have a broken neck, it is called wry neck and Silkies seem to be prone to it. For future reference, many times it can be treated with Vitamin E, Selenium and B Vitamins.
Your other chicks with the poo around their rears: How old are they and at what temp are you brooding them? This is called pasty butt. You need to make sure you take a Qtip or cotton ball and warm water and VERY GENTLY clean the poo off of their rears. This needs to be checked a couple of times a day and cleaned accordingly.
The one with the messed up toes: My sister has a Silkie that looks like it's toes were broken or something when it was young-it does fine now, but the foot is twisted. You can do a search on here for something like "curled toes" or whatever your situation may be and hopefully find an answer.

Thanks for the info. I am now going to go crawl in a small hole and cry for the rest of the night...
hit.gif

Thanks so much thought. Good to know!!
sad.png

Just an FYI, you need to make sure and get that poop cleaned off their bum ASAP! Pasty butt isn't a big issue at all, most of us have had to deal with it, but if you don't keep it cleaned off they will die and quick! I've found that a little apple cider vinegar in their water can help them resolve the issue much faster. After a week or so, you shouldn't have a problem anymore.

Good luck with your chicks, enjoy them while they're little, they grow up so fast!

the poo around the bum is called pasty but take a cloth make it warm with water and just kinda calmly whipe it away its what babbies who cant clean them selfs do if you dont fix it , they will die.

Shorry something similar has happend before with the drop dead thing although I hav no idras about thre neck other then killing them and that info is quite helpful though I dont raise silkies

Back
Top Bottom