Silkie with crooked neck.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reveriereptile, Jul 12, 2011.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Just went out to check on my chickens and one of my teenage silkies was laying on the ground flipping around. I picked it up and she was holding her head crooked with one eye looking upward. I sat her outside of the pen and she got up and straightened her head some and started eating grass and even was able to catch a fly. Earlier I didn't see any notice any of them having problems. Could this be from a head injury or something else?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    There have been a couple posts this week about 'head tilt' where mostly a vitamin deficiency is recommended cause. Vitamins B and E I believe are the primary culprit. Poly Vi Sol liquid baby supplements WITHOUT THE IRON are most commonly recommended. Look for threads in the last two days as I believe there are two posters with the same issue working on it (I think RedHen something is one).

3. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Yeah, I've heard everything from a neck crimp, to ear infection, to vitamine deficiency but mainly the later.

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Read my thread, If you can find it!
    My 2 week old chick started holding her head sideways, the first I noticed it was on Friday, maybe Thursday evening (all my days have been running together lately). I actually dissolved one of my vitamins (Centrum Silver for Women) and a calcium/magnesium supplement (Caltrate with minerals and D) in some water since I didn't have any poly-vi-sol and I had read also something about Calcium and several vitamins being helpful. I just diluted it further with some more water, and just filled their waterer up with it. The two broody hens and all 4 chicks drank that for 1 day, then I started Sav-A-Chick, which I got at the feed store. One packet makes a gallon, but i just sprinkled some into a couple of cups of water, and gave that to them for the following 2 days. By yesterday, (Monday evening) the chick was holding her head normally again. I did not separate her from the others, because she was able to eat and drink, and she was managing to get around okay, her adopted mom was keeping a good eye on her.

Good luck to you, I hope it's as simple a fix for you as it was for me.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh Red Hen that's awesome. Did the other poster have any success?

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She probably has Wry Neck. I just had a silkie that had it. I used Vitamin E 800 mg a day. It took less than a week for her to get over it. I also wrapped her neck with bubble wrap, and then wrapped tape under her wings and back up and attached it to the neck brace, so that I could stabilize her head. I read about the bubble wrap from another member, I was using a toilet paper roll, but the bubble wrap works much better. I almost moistened her food so she could eat better and get liquids at the same time.

7. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Thanks for the information. I'll run to the store and get some stuff for her to see if that helps.

8. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I got some vitamins for her. When I came back I couldn't tell what one she was. They all were acting and looking normal again. I went ahead and put the vitamins in their water for them. That was weird though.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Well, that is good news. Just a keep an eye out in case it comes back. I tired the multivitamin with my wry neck girl but it didn't work. The vitamin E showed a big improvement in only 24 hours. You just cut the top of the soft gel and squirt it their mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by