Silkie with crop issue

Jjdesmo11

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Tennessee
1) What type of bird , age and weight: silkie hen (got her 2 days ago) approx 1yr old. Prob weights 2-3 lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Once I got her I realized she was covered in lice (sprayed with elector psp after a bath) and I decided to deworm and saw a roundworm in her poop. She seems to be on the mend but her crop feels like a water ballon even in the morning it’s flat but soggy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed it felt weird when I got her 2 days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? She’s in quarantine
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Just that fact that t d poor bird was neglected
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I have been feeding purina all flock and added scrambled eggs and mealworms
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. her poop looks like undigested diarrhea. Has been light brown or green. More liquid than solid. Strong smelling
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Valbazen orally, elector psp spray, and save a chick probiotics in water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I plan to treat here. I have a vet that is an hr away I may go to if I can’t get her better.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I’ll post a picture of her but it’s hard to tell if it’s fluff or crop issue
953956CF-D006-46F2-B8CC-908179C658E1.jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use she’s in a dog cage with some fake grass ( turf) so I can monitor her poop

Posted on fb group and heard people say pendulous crop. I’m hope it’s just sour crop. Deciding if I should withhold food ( I hate to while deworming) I bought clotrimazole cream to try to give orally but with amazon delaying orders I don’t know when it will come. She is eating/clucking and seems over all happy ( except she hates me messing with her 😢)

Attachments

• 355A9F92-4D63-42D5-A646-143A50389DBE.jpeg
    355A9F92-4D63-42D5-A646-143A50389DBE.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 4
  • D953D460-21EF-4177-AEB1-1D27E5211CC3.jpeg
    D953D460-21EF-4177-AEB1-1D27E5211CC3.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 5
  • A17DB6D0-610B-462A-B1D8-186E7EE5C6BA.jpeg
    A17DB6D0-610B-462A-B1D8-186E7EE5C6BA.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 8
I would keep her quarantined for several weeks.

Does she have sour crop or you suspect sour crop? Does her breath stink?
Look inside her beak for canker, mucous or yellow cheesy material while you are checking her out.
Check for lice/mites too. Legs - any raised scales that would indicate Scaly leg mites?

How old is she?
If possible get a fecal float to check for worms.

Moving to a new home is stressful. I would get her hydrated, offer some poultry vitamins or electrolytes for the first day.

Here's info about crop issues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

1) What type of bird , age and weight: silkie hen (got her 2 days ago) approx 1yr old. Prob weights 2-3 lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Once I got her I realized she was covered in lice (sprayed with elector psp after a bath) and I decided to deworm and saw a roundworm in her poop. She seems to be on the mend but her crop feels like a water ballon even in the morning it’s flat but soggy.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed it felt weird when I got her 2 days ago
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? She’s in quarantine
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Just that fact that t d poor bird was neglected
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I have been feeding purina all flock and added scrambled eggs and mealworms
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. her poop looks like undigested diarrhea. Has been light brown or green. More liquid than solid. Strong smelling
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Valbazen orally, elector psp spray, and save a chick probiotics in water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I plan to treat here. I have a vet that is an hr away I may go to if I can’t get her better.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I’ll post a picture of her but it’s hard to tell if it’s fluff or crop issue
View attachment 2081705
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use she’s in a dog cage with some fake grass ( turf) so I can monitor her poop

Posted on fb group and heard people say pendulous crop. I’m hope it’s just sour crop. Deciding if I should withhold food ( I hate to while deworming) I bought clotrimazole cream to try to give orally but with amazon delaying orders I don’t know when it will come. She is eating/clucking and seems over all happy ( except she hates me messing with her 😢)
@Wyorp Rock this is my original post.
I believe sour crop. Crop is doughy. Looking at acidified copper sulfate

I would keep her quarantined for several weeks.

Does she have sour crop or you suspect sour crop? Does her breath stink?
Look inside her beak for canker, mucous or yellow cheesy material while you are checking her out.
Check for lice/mites too. Legs - any raised scales that would indicate Scaly leg mites?

How old is she?
If possible get a fecal float to check for worms.

Moving to a new home is stressful. I would get her hydrated, offer some poultry vitamins or electrolytes for the first day.

Here's info about crop issues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you I tagged you in my original post. I believe it’s sour crop. Her crop is doughy.

Thank you @Wyorp Rock ive been scouring posts and I believe she has probably been sick for a long time. She’s skinny. Only 2 lbs. her butt looks like possible vent gleet and most likely sour crop also. I ordered acidified copper sulfate. Also a fungal cream. I saw a post that mentioned treating for coccidiosis so I just orally dosed her with Corid. I feel like this is a bit of over kill but I just want to get her better and Corid won’t be harmful. I debated getting a crop bra but it’s not that her crop is distended it’s just doughy. I don’t feel any hard knots in it but it feels warm to the touch. Any other tips? I also have bird sulfa but I’m going to hold off. She’s eating, chirping and her poop is acidic smelling and runny. I’ll include a picture. Sorry it’s gross

Attachments

• 2C29BEDB-E043-46DB-B51B-78F6006B8F70.jpeg
    2C29BEDB-E043-46DB-B51B-78F6006B8F70.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FF857E91-26E3-412C-A8C2-459D27CE66A5.jpeg
    FF857E91-26E3-412C-A8C2-459D27CE66A5.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 7
covered in lice
I decided to deworm
crop feels like a water ballon even in the morning it’s flat but soggy.
Valbazen orally, elector psp spray, and save a chick probiotics in water.
I’m hope it’s just sour crop. Deciding if I should withhold food ( I hate to while deworming) I bought clotrimazole cream
Crop is doughy. Looking at acidified copper sulfate
her butt looks like possible vent gleet and most likely sour crop also. I ordered acidified copper sulfate. Also a fungal cream. I saw a post that mentioned treating for coccidiosis so I just orally dosed her with Corid
I debated getting a crop bra but it’s not that her crop is distended it’s just doughy
Give her bum a wash up. She had lice right? Any nits (eggs on the feathers close to the skin?), those could be catching poop making it harder to keep clean?

The crop is doughy, hopefully you can get the anti fungal soon, if you have some yogurt I would give her a Tablespoon a day.

For treating with Valbazen you don't necessarily need to withhold food, but it's a good idea to administer first thing in the morning before she eats.
The Corid shouldn't hurt anything - direct dose is .10ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 3 days, this would be in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid solution - Corid water should be the only thing she's drinking for 5-7 days. Nothing else in the water (no electrolytes or vitamins).

If you can get the crop functioning - likely a bra is not needed. You can make one if you have to, the instructions are in the link previously posted.

Thx so much! Withheld food to decide if it’s Sour crop or pendulous crop and her crop was totally empty today. So I believe it’s pendulous. I have save a chick probiotics in the water. That’s ok with Corid? I have only been giving 0.2mg orally but haven’t put in the water. She seems to be on the mend but I gave her another bath today and it took a lot out of her. I got some monistat and cut up suppositories for her to eat but I’m not sure she is. After her bath I got a good look At her crop and vent. Cut back vent feathers. See white crusts below vent which is probably vent gleet so I coated her with monistat cream and tired to get up in her vent. I saw what looked like a scab if you have any idea what that is. to recap.

will Continue Corid and monistat daily
Will reworn with valbazen at 10 days after first dose
Maybe look for a crop bra for her.
what is the scab on her?
Will adidic copper sulfate help with vent gleet or is that overkill?

really appreciate the help. I feel so frustrated that she was in such horrible condition and worried she will never fit in my mixed bantam flock but how could I honestly rehome her in this condition

Attachments

• 5697A7B7-15B2-4D81-AA2B-3533671A6A9B.jpeg
    5697A7B7-15B2-4D81-AA2B-3533671A6A9B.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 487DD76B-6D2B-4CC7-B219-B906C9084D05.jpeg
    487DD76B-6D2B-4CC7-B219-B906C9084D05.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 5
  • ACC9AA97-AAF2-43B0-83F4-68ABC76489D4.jpeg
    ACC9AA97-AAF2-43B0-83F4-68ABC76489D4.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 91B5C313-451B-4FF0-871F-A8486A7307BB.jpeg
    91B5C313-451B-4FF0-871F-A8486A7307BB.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 5
  • BA5ADD1C-831F-49AB-869B-79DA2F725B1D.jpeg
    BA5ADD1C-831F-49AB-869B-79DA2F725B1D.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 5
Withheld food to decide if it’s Sour crop or pendulous crop and her crop was totally empty today. So I believe it’s pendulous. I have save a chick probiotics in the water. That’s ok with Corid? I have only been giving 0.2mg orally but haven’t put in the water.
I got some monistat and cut up suppositories for her to eat but I’m not sure she is. After her bath I got a good look At her crop and vent.
See white crusts below vent which is probably vent gleet so I coated her with monistat cream and tired to get up in her vent. I saw what looked like a scab if you have any idea what that is. to recap.

Hard to tell what the white is around the vent, the Monistat shouldn't hurt. Those could be lice nits since she was infested.
A weak and lethargic bird really should not be bathed unless absolutely necessary. I would wait to do that again when she has recovered more.

If you are giving Corid, that should be the only thing in the water. (dosing is in chart below)

You may have to feed her the monistat. If it's gooey, then chill it and chop up into bite size pieces.

The acidified copper sulfate. Personally, I would wait to see if the Monistat helps (you have 7 days of that). You are giving Corid, so you want that in the water.
Just a note, the acified copper sulfate needs to be placed in either plastic or glass water stations - don't use metal.

The scab. Is that ooozing or did you notice a bad odor? Are those feathers, dirt/debris or what coming out of it. To me, it looks like a healing wound that had Fly Strike. I would watch that closely.
1586541241760.png

1586541381935.png

Hard to tell what the white is around the vent, the Monistat shouldn't hurt. Those could be lice nits since she was infested.
A weak and lethargic bird really should not be bathed unless absolutely necessary. I would wait to do that again when she has recovered more.

If you are giving Corid, that should be the only thing in the water. (dosing is in chart below)

You may have to feed her the monistat. If it's gooey, then chill it and chop up into bite size pieces.

The acidified copper sulfate. Personally, I would wait to see if the Monistat helps (you have 7 days of that). You are giving Corid, so you want that in the water.
Just a note, the acified copper sulfate needs to be placed in either plastic or glass water stations - don't use metal.

The scab. Is that ooozing or did you notice a bad odor? Are those feathers, dirt/debris or what coming out of it. To me, it looks like a healing wound that had Fly Strike. I would watch that closely.
View attachment 2083412

View attachment 2083426

Thanks for all the helpful info. The scab is hard like a bumble foot scab. And the picture is hard to see but it’s just feathers around it not dirt or debris. Good thought that the color at her vent could be nits from mites, I didn’t want to start rubbing it off I didn’t want to use my hand. Her vent looks huge like it’s swollen but it’s probably because she’s so tiny. Do you know the weight of a full grown silkie? 2 lbs seems low and her breast bone is prominent. Her poop is concerning but could we blame that on deworming and Corid? I know I should give her some time my husband hates having her in the house because she is so smelly! I will follow instructions on Corid and add to water. How many days should I give corid? And you said 7 days of monistat?

Back
Top Bottom