1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie with deformed feet? :-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by busylizzie, Sep 14, 2009.

1. busylizzie

busylizzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    I am in the process of hatching my first black silkie chicks - two of four out and dried, one pipping and zipping currently. My third one has just emerged but appears to have deformed feet.....some of the toes appear to be pointing in the wrong direction - the chick is quite large compared to the others and not as vigorous but is moving around and cheeping a little.......any advise on this.....obviously if he is happy and able to walk then I will give him a chance but I don't want to let him suffer - any thoughts/experience appreciated.

2. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Hmm i would leave her/he until you can really see some discomfort or serious injury. Give her the best fighting chance [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have found that the silkie chicks feet sometimes appear "deformed" the first day or so. Sometimes they almost looked like "club foot" but then after walking around for a few days, they straighten right out.

That's just been my experience...

4. busylizzie

busylizzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    I will - thanks squirtchy! I definately will! Good luck with you hatch I will be listening out for news from you!

Thanks Oldtimegator - glad to know it might be ok. The chick has definately woken up.....very noisy and bright now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by