1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie with eye drainage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Clayton92, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Clayton92

Clayton92 New Egg

Jun 1, 2013
    Iowa
    Today while feeding and watering my chickens I noticed my silkie rooster had eye drainage coming from both eyes. He is holding one of the eyes shut too. I cleaned up around his eyes and put some antibiotics on in his eyes. I went ahead and moved my two silkies into a shed incase it was something that could spread so my other chickens wouldn't get whatever he has. He acts tired, I feel so bad for the poor guy. If you guys have any suggestions what I could do for him please let me know. :(
    Thank you

2. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Close up photos will help a lot. What color is the drainage?

3. Clayton92

Clayton92 New Egg

Jun 1, 2013
    Iowa
    I'll get photo shortly. It is like a whitish clear color.

4. Clayton92

Clayton92 New Egg

Jun 1, 2013
    Iowa
    Dumb me forgot to take a picture when I went back out to check on my rooster. It is clear it is some kind of respiratory infection, poor guy is breathing hard. I called my vet and he said he had no idea what to do for it. None of my other chickens or ducks show any symptoms so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I really don't wanna loose my silkie, they are my favorites, any suggestions would help.[​IMG]

5. Clayton92

Clayton92 New Egg

Jun 1, 2013
    Iowa
    Good news! I went to my local tractor supply store and picked up some tetracycline for livestock and now my rooster is as good as new! I put the antibiotic in his water in about three days his eyes were completely drainage free. I kept him on the antibiotic and quarantined for the recommended two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by