Silkie with head tremors/twitching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenPen, Nov 30, 2009.

1. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie,about 4 months old weight unknown
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Her little head is trembling/twitching/shaking constantly almost like she has Parkinson's disease
    3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing,She has been really making a mess of her food for about 3-4 days,I thought it was because she couldnt see around her crest so I trimmed it but that was not the case
    5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She is drinking water eating grower as well as treats
    6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
    7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None so far,waiting for the advice from the wise BYCers
    8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Prefer to treat myself as the vets arond here dont see chickens as pets
    9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A
    10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. She is on shavings

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    First I would check for lice or mites. Look in the crest and by the vent. Part the feathers and use a flashlight. Mites will look like black/red spots of pepper that run really fast. The lice will look like white/yellowish tiny grains of rice almost. You might also find clusters of lice eggs on the base of the feathers.

Bugs are usually the number 1 cause of head shaking. Some birds just do it to see. Silkies have vaulted skulls and are prone to alot of head trauma too.

3. carolynb

carolynb Chicken Kisser

May 18, 2009
    Raynham
  4. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks....no lice or mites and s/he is not vaulted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by