silkie with mites and lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by realsis, Jan 20, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I bought a new silkie about a month ago. I bought her by picture. She was shipped to me from the east coast and I'm west coast.all was well except she came with lice and mites!! Sigh.. I didn't notice this until a couple of weeks ago. What I've done. .. I used poultry dust then not getting the results I used ivermectin. This worked wonderfully for the body bugs and lice but it seemed some now have moved to the crest.my silkies have huge crests. What can be done now about the mites in the crest. I'm reluctant to use powder around their face or any dusting material they can breathe in easily but I just don't know what to do. I have one more treatment with the ivermectin but I can't put that on their heads. Yes she has given the mites to my other birds because I didn't know she had them. Lesson learned..but the bugs are now only on the girls crests! All of them. Do you all have ANY advice on how to treat the crests? In my research I found I was dealing with lice which is now gone and northern foul mite. Which is still living on their heads. If I must I'll use the powder but I was wondering if their was a better way? Thanks so much. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    A light dusting would probably be fine but if you are worried, I have also used horse fly spray to successfully treat mites. That might be even better as it's more of a liquid so they wouldn't breathe in dust and would probably close their eyes with the sound of the can near their heads. You could probable just put your hand over their eyes and give them a quick spray. Any fly spray with pyrethrin/permethrin will kill the mites. If you have cats, make sure you change your clothes and take a shower after you spray the chickens as pyrethrins are toxic to cats. Good luck!

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If you want a more natural solution, try giving her some dirt mixed with diatomaceous earth to dust bathe in. It is usually available at most feed stores.

4. grassfedchicken

grassfedchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    fresh air, grass, and a nice dirt bath helps so much for mites. Helps if you can do an temp outdoor pen with a dirty and planty garden area for her during a portion of the day.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to use a art paint brush for the poultry dust and their heads and very carefully and slowly dust the crest. I've almost got them gone except for the crest. I've got the last treatment of ivermection too do soon and I'll continue to dust the crest carefully. The ivermection did a excellent job on the body it's just the head left. I take one part ivermection to two parts water and mix . Then I apply that with a paint brush for art on their backs. When I first started treatment she was covered with lice and mites on her whole body. Now it's just the crest so I'm making some progress Thank God!! This has been a battle! I just hope I can get them clean soon.! I can't believe she was shipped that way! ! It makes me soo angry!! I hope this nightmare is over soon! I personally would never ship a bird infested with bugs.i would at least treat them first!! Ugh!!

6. Aerielle

Aerielle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Orange, CA
    I had the same problem recently but used the ivermectin pour on, a couple drops each, not diluted and it wiped everything out. Another option that I had success with on crests and beards is using organic eucalyptus oil on the head and chin avoiding the eyes. Wood ash I've found to be better than DE for dust baths. Best of luck with your birds! Mine were heavily infested and had scaly leg and neck even! I used NuStock to help quicken the healing and it worked well for scaly leg and neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by