Silkie with potential wry beck or neurological issues.

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
My 1 year old Silkie today has started star gazing, however she only goes it for about a second or 2 and is eating and drinking but keeps looking up at the sky maybe every couple of minutes.

I’m wondering if she has wry neck however she has also started to peck the air and I don’t know if this is related to wry neck or something else ?

My only other thought is due to bird flu the coop is totally covered in clear tarpaulin but it is quite windy and we do have lots of birds of prey around our land circling above so I’m not sure if it could be that.

I’ve given her some nettex nutrierops but don’t know if I should be doing anything else ?

Thanks

Attachments

• C542F1C1-3C5C-4D48-BFDB-28AE6C40FCDC.jpeg
    C542F1C1-3C5C-4D48-BFDB-28AE6C40FCDC.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 26
It helps to put your location in your avatar, so that we know if that might be important in helping your chicken. Silkies can be prone to wry neck, and pecking the air, walking backward or in circles, or having a twisted neck are all common signs. These are neurological symptoms of something affecting the brain. Possible causes are genetics, a head injury, vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, and sometimes a disease such as Mareks, bird flu, Newcastles and others. Most people treat it with giving human vitamin E 400 IU and 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex daily. Make sure that she is getting enough food and water, and feeding her a wet mash of chicken feed plus a little scrambled egg for selenium is good. Here is a video of feeding:

Back
Top Bottom