Silkie with scissor beak or broken jaw?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurie's Silkies, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    One of my 6 week old silkies has a lower beak that jutts way out to the side. could it have a broken jaw? or scissor beak?. A couple weeks ago I noticed it but wase'nt so bad then. now it's really bad. Still running with the others and seems to be eating but I will really watch closely now that the beak has gotten so bad. When eating becomes difficult I will have to cull her I guess. She is a beautiful splash. what are the odds of it being scissor beak verses an injury? Looked normal as a tiny chick.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Since it has worsened over time, it does indeed sound like scissor beak.
    Some of these chickens do fine for a long time with a deep dish for their feed, so they can scoop it up.

3. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    Anyone have any opinions? Still seems to be eating ok.

4. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    I just got a 20 week old hen with a scissor beak. the guy I got her from said she has been eating and drinking fine her entire life. She is the sweetest chicken I have ever had!! I feel so bad her, but it's all she knows. she walks right up to me and lets me pick her up. her name is honey. I'd keep your chick around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by