Silkie with single comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moochie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I have a rooster (unfortunately [​IMG] ) with a single comb. He's still a young little thing, only half the size of my dear Skippy, but it's kind of strange to see it on him. Has anyone been hatching alot of boys out this year? I got 9 young silkies from a guy and I think only 2 are pullets. Maybe 3, just maybe. A blue and a splash. Blegh. Back in April I hatched out 5 BRs and BR crosses and they were all roosters. Yeesh! I have 3 chicks who are turning 5 weeks old this week and the BR chick looks to be a boy. The other two might be pullets.
    I'm not familiar with silkie/EE crosses though so I could be wrong!

2. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    Quote:I have hatched a good number of silkies this season and find I am getting about 1 in 4, hens to roosters. I can be disheartening because it takes so long to identify them. Other than that I have hatched pretty close to a 50% on most breeds. I have been told temps you hatch at can control the percent some but I have not really seen that--but heard that higher temps give more roos.

3. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    How can you change the gender based on heat? Is the gender not decided by genetics like mammals?

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

are u sure there pure silkie? could have cochin in them??

5. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a single comb silkie roo who is pure <.<

6. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Gender is determined by the hen where as in humans it is determined by the father. you cant change a chick's gender by temp. thats only true for reptiles..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by