1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie with skin issue

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VeganFarmer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. VeganFarmer

VeganFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Today I noticed that my silkie has a bald spot on the back of her neck. I didn't think much of it because she has had it before from my rooster but when I picked her up and touched the spot it felt different from before, very dry and scaley feeling. So I decided to give her the once over. Checked under her wings, one was fine the other bald and scaley but with some feathers coming in. Then I looked on her "hips" and one side was fine while the other was bald and scaley with some feathers coming in.

Something worth noting. About two to two and half weeks ago I moved her into a new coop. She's with the same rooster she has always been with but I upgraded their coop. Could it be stress? Could she be pecking at herself? What am I dealing with? :( I'm so concerned because A. I love her B. I only have two adult chickens, a hen and a rooster C. I have three chicks in my brooder that I was going to add in with my two adults in another week or so, if she has something I certainly don't want it spreading. Please help!

Thanks,
    Courtney

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Is it possible that she is moulting?... If new feathers are coming in it could be a normal moult... have you treated them recently for mite/lice infestations? It may be an idea to worm them also if they have not been wormed recently.

Good luck

Suzie

3. VeganFarmer

Jun 10, 2012
    I think you're right, I think she's molting. She's just about 9 months old, has never had a molt and stopped laying almost two weeks ago. She will be the first time I've ever had a chicken molt. :)

4. VeganFarmer

Jun 10, 2012
    *moulting, moult

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by