Silkie with sticky/messy poo

Hamilspud

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
Looking for some help with my silkie who has had a nasty butt for months. She’s happy, otherwise healthy, eats well, and is active. She rarely has loose stools (typically when she does it’s from too much cucumber or the like) but constantly gets poop build up on her butt feathers, even when off treats. I have tried a few rounds of probiotics and limiting/cutting out snacks with no success. She free ranges all day and is fed Purina Layena Feed. I’ve heard some silkies just have stickier poop that clumps on their fluff and they just need to stay trimmed back...could that be the case here or should I try a more aggressive approach with abx? I’ve included a pic of her dirty butt and her rocking a killer hair style when it was sprinkling one day. As you can see, her flock mate who eats an identical diet has a pristine white cotton ball for a behind. Thanks in advance!
83FCDA55-71C5-4EAA-A6A4-F0BDD1F34663.jpeg
659DD3A2-E017-4EA3-9B08-53DA7BCBE149.jpeg

I don't have the answer for you so this is a bump to the top amongst other things :)

I personally would make sure her behind stays clean so she doesn't get any nasty infection or something like that..
Good luck with your silky

I don't have the answer for you so this is a bump to the top amongst other things :)

I personally would make sure her behind stays clean so she doesn't get any nasty infection or something like that..
Good luck with your silky
Thank you, she was due for another trim and washing in this photo. From the way her poop gets stuck even on trimmed feathers, I almost wonder if she isn’t pushing the poop far enough away from her body when she goes?

Back
Top Bottom