Silkie with suspected wry neck

Chickarama1

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 19, 2016
Hi everyone, I am desperate for some advice. I have a 10-month Silkie hen that has been ill for a week. I took her to the vet last Friday with suspected wry neck. I have been giving her antibiotics (in case she has an ear infection) and vitamin E.

I have had to force feed her because she is just getting thinner and thinner and she is now just emaciated and sitting with her head down on the ground. I suspect she is only saved from starving to death because I have been forcing food down her throat (which is not an easy option) but I keep hoping she will pick up again.

How long do you think I should give her? It's been five days and no real improvement. I understand that Wry neck usually sorts itself within a few days. Any other ideas? It's heartbreaking but I don't want her to suffer if there is no hope....

Many thanks in advance...

There are several possible causes of wry neck, such as head injury, vitamin B1 thiamine or vitamin E deficiency, and it also occurs in certain diseases such as Mareks, that affect the brain. Do you know if she was vaccinated? Has she had any diarrhea or crop problems? Has she been laying eggs? Tube feeding might be something that you could learn to try and keep her fed and watered. How much E are you giving daily? 400 IU daily and a little B complex 1/4 tablet daily is what I would give. Where are you located? Have you had any deaths that were unexplained? If you should lose her, you can ask your state vet to do a necropsy and also test for Mareks and avian influenza. Here is a list of state vets who you can contact for details:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Oh wow thank you so much for this. I am in the Uk. It could be a head injury and we did discuss at the vets. Having experienced Mareks in unvaccinated birds previously that would be my guess BUT she is supposed to be vaccinated so I just don’t know. I have been giving her a soluble antibiotic along with vitamin B and E and although she is quite strong when you wake her up. No diarrhoea or crop issues. She has always been a really big robust bird and laid eggs until very recently when she got ill quickly . I have been feeding her cooked eggs and oats along with layers pellets and grapes if she will take them. It’s heart breaking and so sad.

If Mareks has happened to your chickens before, that may be what is happening. Mareks remains in the environment for months to years, and remains if any birds are still left. The vaccine can help to prevent the symptoms of Mareks, but they still can get the disease. Baby chicks who have been vaccinated should be kept away from any feather dust or dander in the environment for 2 weeks to achieve immunity.

Thanks for this, yes I had an outbreak in 2016 which is why I only go for vaccinated birds. This is definitely my suspicion 😩 I just wonder how long I let this poor girl suffer

Once my hens stop eating and seem to be suffering, that is when I consider putting them down. It is very hard to do, but is a kind thing to do.

Yes me too. So hard but they are so little I think they are pretty much dead if they are not eating and curled up in a ball. I always think that once they look I’ll then they are in real trouble and this poor girl looks bad.

Back
Top Bottom