1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Silkie with swollen eye/face. Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hbomb, Jun 14, 2018.

1. hbomb

hbomb In the Brooder

May 2, 2017
    Foster RI
    I noticed my silkie roo had some swelling above his eye last night around 9pm. He also had a small blood spot in the center of his comb (did not appear to have swelling there). I checked him again at 530 this morning and the swelling seems to be worse. The photo is from last night. I'm thinking maybe an injury from a run in with another member of my flock? Does anyone have advice on how to reduce the swelling/treat this??

Attached Files:

2. hohbacgl

hohbacgl In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2018
    I'm not sure how to treat the swelling unless it is infection from the wound. I always keep Vetericyn Plus on hand for any injuries. It can be used on dogs, cats, rabbits, fowl and parrots. I have all except the rabbits! I even use it on my horse and donkey.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looking at the photo - does he have a small wound/sore place at the corner of the eye? (red circle)
    It may be from injury/peck to the eye, especially if you also found another small blood spot on the comb. You apply a little Terramycin, Vetericyn eye gel or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the swelling to see if that helps. If it get larger or if there is pus, then you may need to see a vet.
    upload_2018-6-14_7-52-18.png

hohbacgl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: