Silkie with the sniffles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by otiv, Dec 1, 2009.

1. otiv

otiv New Egg

Nov 19, 2009
    I am new to raising chickens and have a question about the health of one of my silkie hens. It seems that she is coughing or sneezing more and more lately. I have added a vitamine booster and antibiotic to their water. I am not noticing any improvement after 2 weeks. Only one of my hens seems to be behaving this way. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong and what I can be doing better?

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]
    I would isolate her until the symptoms recede - - if it is serious you would not want the others catching it. Also yogurt is a good thing to give them, and mabe put her somewhere where it is quite warm so her body can stop using energy to produce heat and let her immune system concentrate on whatever it is.
    Is there any other symptoms such as discharge round the eyes and nose? Also, is she eating and drinking? Is there any behaviour differences apart from the sneezing? And is her poo normal?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. otiv

otiv New Egg

Nov 19, 2009
    There are no other issues other than the sneezing. Her appitite is great and she is drinking pleanty of water. I am going to try your suggestion of a heat lamp. I live in the San Francisco bay area and the weather gets into the 40 degree area at night and low 60's during the day. Hopefuly the light will help clear things up. Should I leave the light on all day and night?

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    You need to seperate her so you can see what/how much she is eating, drink & pooing and to keep it from spreading to the rest of your flock.
    Heat lamp should be on (all the time) so she is not using her energy to stay warm & can just fight whatever this is.

5. otiv

otiv New Egg

Nov 19, 2009
    Well, I have seperated her. I have put her in a dog crate and just brought her in our house. I feel bad for her because she seems lonlely! Probably just in my head though. Will that be good enough or do I still need a heat lamp. Our house is kept at 68 degrees. In the mean time I have put a heat lamp in the coop for the other girls. The guy at the feed store said I could go either way with a heat lamp. His feeling was that if I keep them warm in the coop they will not "harden" with the temperature change. I saw his point but, I have been told that silkies are just a tempermental breed so I thought I would rather be safe than sorry. I have been adding terramyacin to her water and plan to do so for the next 7-10 days. Any other thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by