Silkie with wry neck, again. Now, aspiration pneumonia?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cawpeaches, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cawpeaches

cawpeaches New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    My silkie, Seth - had a case of wry neck start up recently. So, like I'd done previously - I started him on eyedroppers of Vit E, selenium and B complex. He was having good moments and bad moments. I noticed he was having trouble swallowing with how twisted his neck was. When he'd try to eat & swallow, he'd go to that wry neck posture and roll around. It was painful to watch, and he seemed exhausted.
    I made a mistake. A BIG mistake.
    I gave him eyedroppers full of poly vi sol and the other vitamins above. But, I think I forced him and he aspirated. I didn't realize I could cause him to develop pneumonia. I think that is what he has now. He's using his beak (gaped) to breath. He's very weak. No "clicking" from his chest, but the occasional gurgle when he looks like he's swallowing.
    What can I do for him here, at home to help him? My vets office doesn't wish to treat chickens, nor administer any prescriptions. I do have some doxy here, and some powdered poultry antibiotic (I think its tetracycline? I got it at the store, just in case).
    Please give me some hope that I haven't sent him to the grave.....
    He's been through so much....from the first time he had wry neck and his recovery. To a near drowning in my large horse water tub, we got him his own coop w/ a little hen so he wouldn't be picked on by the others and could eat, drink and live in peace.....
    I'm really worried.
    Hoping for something that I can do to help him.....

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor Seth. It sounds like you have been working hard to take care of him. I found a thread on aspiration for you to check out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/625282/aspiration-pneumonia

A different broad spectrum antibiotic is mentioned other than Doxy there.

I have read that to reduce the likelihood of aspiration, one should run the dropper along the side of the beak. I know easier said than done.

Good luck with Seth.

3. cawpeaches

cawpeaches New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Thanks for responding!
    Well, he perked up awhile ago and he ate some egg yolk, and greek yogurt & drank a bit of water (albeit all with his head pretty tilted) and he pooped. He was also preening himself earlier, awkwardly, but that's progress. He's too weak to stand. I have him propped up in a skinny box and keep adding a warmed towel under him which he seems to like. I have a sock around his neck lightly to keep his head from totally twisting around and upside down. He just seems pretty tired, so I'm going to keep him inside tonight. Supposed to be down to around 5 degrees, and even w/ the kennel pad & light...I think he'll be happier in here. I feel bad for his girlfriend, Lil' Bessie, she seems a bit confused as to why she's alone.
    I'll keep ya posted. Fingers crossed. He's been a lot of work to keep healthy in his short months of life, but he's just so cute I can't help it!

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad he is doing a little better. It is probably a good idea to keep him in during the cold weather while he is recovering. I had a silkie mix who seemed to be more susceptible to flair ups of wry neck when exposed to stressors like cold weather.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How is his quality of life? Is he suffering? [​IMG]

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If he really has a hard time eating and drinking maybe you should consider your option. [​IMG]

7. cawpeaches

cawpeaches New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Just wanted to update you all that he passed away the day after this post. We sat in the warm sunshine and eventually he just couldn't breathe anymore. I have 15 other chickens, but he was special. I'm very sad over his loss.......... ;( His buddy, Lil'Bessie is a bit confused. I put her back in with the others in the large coop during roost time over night. this is her second day with them and she'd rather just be alone, she isolates herself from them when I let them out. Breaks my heart!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss.

It sounds like you really did your best and that is all our chickens can ask of us. [​IMG]

Sometimes no matter what we do they pass anyway.

9. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    Sorry for your loss also but I'll say it here and everywhere else I can on here....too many people are "KILLING" their "PET" chickens with "whatever they read on these forums" to do. Please have common sense people and let this be a lesson...they have the brain about the size of a pea (you tube mike the headless chicken), they dont "bond" to humans unless someone horribly imprinted them as chicks, they can seem friendy sure, but really its all about getting food, but they dont like to cuddle nor will they make an emotional connection with a human like a dog or cat, and sometimes the kindest thing to do, if you dont want to cull which I understand, is make them comfortable where they belong...outside if possible, and let nature take it's course without forcing them to take medicince....just like when we know what is best-we dont want lobster when we are having the stomach flu, when they dont want to eat or drink, they are telling you loud and clear what they need.
    Medications and vits are best put in chicken waterers, injected or nasally inhaled-not forced fed.

10. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry that Seth passed away and I understand that it is sad to see Lil'Bessie at a loss. I hope she adjusts to the coop soon.

Although ChirpNEggBaby is certainly entitled to his or her own opinion, I question the sensitivity of such a reply in this thread.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by