1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie won't roost, anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ColoBecky, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ColoBecky

ColoBecky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Denver
    I have a flock of 8 banties, nearly a year old. One of the silkies won't go up on the roost at night, and always wants to sleep in the nest boxes. The poor girl is a little out of it compared to the others (always gets lost from the flock in the yard, doesn't know to run when a hawk flies over, etc.). She's also definitely at the bottom of the pecking order.

Any ideas for encouraging her to roost, or should I just accept that's she's kinda clueless and slow?

Or ideas for keeping her out of the nests at night?

2. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    How high are the roosts compared to the nesting boxes. What I have experienced with silkies is that they can't get on something over 18-20 inches high. So I put some bricks on the ground and they love those. Also when you said she's a little out of it, does she get pecked a lot. If she does get pecked a lot she might like to stay away because she doesn't like it. Just some thoughts/ ideas.

3. ColoBecky

ColoBecky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    Denver
    Thanks for your reply. She does get pecked a little, so maybe she just avoids the mean girls.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a huge white rock rooster that 2 weeks ago stopped roosting. He sleeps in a dog crate stuffed with hay on the floor now. He's always roosted, but just quit. He also looks really dirty, but doesnt appear sick. He goes hit the ground like a rock coming off the roost... He's still the rooster in charge though, so I don't know what the deal is. He's pretty old though

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Silkies don't usually like roosts or ramps. The occasional silkie will get up on a roost (short roost) but they prefer to huddle on the floor in a pile in shavings.

You can put a covered kitty litter pan in there with a little brick in front of it to encourage her to go in...maybe she'd sleep in there. Or a box.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If his feathers aren't looking good check for mites/lice.

7. Groo

Groo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Maine
    My two black bantam silkies go up onto the 4 foot high 2x4 roost with the other banties at night, but Heather, the white bantie silkie, stays on the lower roost all by herself (I have a ramp up to the lower roost just for her). She's kind of a clutz but so adorable and funny. I just worry that she will be very cold in our Maine winter, roosting all by herself. Should I make a special box for her? They are all 22 weeks old. Any suggestions?

8. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    the exact same thing happens to my silkies they bunch up in the nesting boxes to sleep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by