Silkie X Breeding Project

BethReed

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
I started this a couple years back and I really like what I’m developing.

Goal: Silkie broodiness, friendliness, laid-back personality in a Leghorn (or larger) sized, smooth feathered, crested, black-skinned bird with hardiness and vigor, in blue /black/splash with no gold leakage.

First generation: Blue Silkie cockbird over Black Australorp hens

Second generation: Blue Silkie cockerel over F1 pullets

Third generation: F2 blue cockerel over F2 pullets, then select for size and type

Growouts of the 3rd generation are approaching 4 months now. Their size is still smaller than my long-term goal, but otherwise they’re very much what I had in mind. They’re pretty consistent and lovely birds. Most somehow ended up with excellent lacing, even. They look reminiscent of a Crevecour other than comb type.

First question: These aren’t Satins, as I’m not breeding to the Silkie SOP other than feather type. I’d like to have something to call them other than “Silkie mix,” “Not Satins,” or “breeding project.” Any suggestions? Hubby says the laced blue reminds him of riverbed stones, but I’m not sure how to incorporate that into a (eventual) breed name. Suggestions?

Second, would anyone be interested in being a breeding partner and working on their own bloodline, helping to develop a standard, etc?

Can you post pictures?
Note: the “markings” on her head are mud, not leakage — they’ve been cleaning up the garden today.

She’s 14 weeks and about 2.5 pounds.

Attachments

• B9FFC6E2-9430-4BEA-8405-929A79075CD0.jpeg
    B9FFC6E2-9430-4BEA-8405-929A79075CD0.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 40
  • A6FAA89E-3838-47A9-BDDC-810376B5AC62.jpeg
    A6FAA89E-3838-47A9-BDDC-810376B5AC62.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 6A08774C-E4EE-4342-ABE2-8C9E273004B3.jpeg
    6A08774C-E4EE-4342-ABE2-8C9E273004B3.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 39
Potential names:
Rivera’s/Rivara’s
lapis fluvialis (Latin for river stone) (according to google translate, that is)
a derivative of your own last name/your farms name? (that is, if you’re living on a farm, you could well be in the city for all I know)
Selkies? (sounds similar to silkies, and selkies are well know figures Irish/Celtic mythology that can shift between human and seal form (aka they have something to do with water lol 😅)
Idk lol. They are beautiful though. If I wasn’t entirely sure I was on a completely different continent I’d totally help you.

Note: the “markings” on her head are mud, not leakage — they’ve been cleaning up the garden today.

She’s 14 weeks and about 2.5 pounds.
Oh my gosh, I have a beautiful Silkie mix who looks so so very similar!! Same color and smooth feathers. I don’t know who the rooster was, a sneaky fly by night traveling roo 🤷🏼‍♀️ but momma hen was a full silkie.
Have you continued your breeding program?? 🤞🏼

I‘be just bred my girl to my Cochin bantam frizzle roo and the first 3 gorgeous chicks are almost 3 weeks old now. One of them is 5 toed, black skin/feathers and smooth. 🤩 Next round of eggs from a breeding to my smooth Cochin bantam are in the incubator now. I have a young black silkie roo I may go with next, we’ll see.
I’m also thinking once these Cochin cross chicks are old enough I’ll select the best hen(s) and put her/them with the silkie roo to breed back into silkies and hope the smooth feathers stay.
Excited to see how this goes!

Back
Top Bottom