Silkie x Cochin cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bantamkelley, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Okay since Im new to poultry and am lazy and havent really searched the forums I was intruiged by the possibility that cochins and silkies could cross? If so, would it be better to breed a male silkie with female cochin or male cochin and female silkie? This is because silkies are layers of fair numbers (I think) and go broody often while cochins are beautiful but dont lay many eggs and go broody very seldom.

2. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Replies please??? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. gamefowl guy

gamefowl guy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    My computer
    It depends on what you want which way to cross them - you should do some reading on genetics and sex-linked traits, although if you just want to see what you get, then either way would work.

And silkies do go broody, but lay few eggs, and cochins go broody also (not as much as silkies) and though they don't lay a lot do lay more.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    I breed Frizzles, so I have a lot of crosses here between Silkies and Bantam Cochins, and also breed standard-sized Cochins. My Cochins outlay my Silkies, both brood often in my experience but Silkies brood better and more diligently.

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if the Cochin hen carry Dermal Inhibitor(Id) which is responsible for white or yellow shanks(depending on the skin color) you can make sex links...

WHY?

Silkies have id+(lack inhibitor) and FibroMelanotic(Fm) which is restricted by Id..SO.. if you cross a Silkie rooster with an Id Cochin then you will hatch black skin pullets and clear skin roosters, you can see this at hatch..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by