1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie x Cream Legbar??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SallyC94, Jan 15, 2015.

1. SallyC94

SallyC94 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Tennessee
    I hope I have this in the right forum!
    I have been thinking about crossing a legbar rooster to a silkie hen. Would this make blue egg laying silkies?? I've researched this as much as I can and there's hardly any info on it.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    First generation pullets would be normal feathered and would most likely lay blue/green/olive tinted eggs. f1 pullets and cockerels mated together would produce some silky feathered as also would f1 pullets mated back to silky roosters, but the 'blue egg' gene might be lost in the process.

3. SallyC94

SallyC94 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    Tennessee
    Any way to keep the blue egg gene??

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Raise lots of chicks, keep and breed only those hens which lay eggs the desired color and only use cockerels that hatch from properly colored eggs continue doing this for many generations.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why not look into the existing silkie feathered Ameraucanas? If you wanted to breed them to your silkies to add the other characteristics you'd be ahead on egg color and silkie feathering.

6. sugarstark

sugarstark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Hudson Valley New York
    I'm currently doing this! Any luck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by