Silkie x Production chicken question

Finge

Chirping
Dec 30, 2016
I've been thinking about this for a few hours, and i'm not sure if my thinking and thoughts of chicken genetics is correct.

Long ago I was told that the production and egg size of a chicken depends on it's sire, I've forgotten what the Dam gave to the offspring.

If this is true, then would an offspring from a Production based rooster (Production red, rhode island red, Barred rock) and a silkie produce a chicken that is a good egg layer AND prone to become broody?

That might be handy for hatcheries to just small backyard flock keepers and hatchers. A Chicken that could produce 5 eggs a week, and is prone to being broody to hatch chicks. It's the best of both worlds, a chicken that can feed you and save you money from an incubator.

Are my thoughts correct, or did the person that told me this set of information about genetics is wrong?

I mean, I plan on getting silkies this spring, soo I plan on testing out my theory.

I'm of the opinion the information given was incorrect.
I've heard it myself as well as simular things like roosters determine egg color which clearly isn't true.
Unless its a sex linked gene which production or egg size isn't then each parent gives 50% of an offspring genes.
Look at it this way. Leghorns are known for great production and xl eggs.
So if I bred a leghorn rooster to say a LF cochin, a silkie and an old english bantam. Do you think they would all lay 5 to 7 eggs a week and all lay xl eggs?
It wouldn't work that way. Crosses can take after either parent or in most cases they end up somewhere in the middle.
So if you bred your production rooster to a silkie you will most likely get pullets that will lay a bit better and a bit bigger then a silkie and may or may not go broody.

Silkie crosses are likely to brood, same with avidly broody breeds. A broody cannot be a good layer while she is broody and can take as much as ten weeks off from laying (at least that’s what my layers did). You could have broody breeds and layer breeds but I personally do not see the point in crossing the two when there’s many breeds available of both broody and laying traits. Just my two pence. My English bluebelle, for example, was a very good layer, 6/7 eggs a week, she went broody and stopped laying for 12 weeks and she wasn’t even a good mum! Thankfully she fell back into good laying and didn’t brood again. I have heard that RIR can and do brood but it really depends on the hen/pullet, even broody breeds can not be relied on to brood, same goes for layers and laying.

Back
Top Bottom