1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie x rir

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ravenking, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ravenking

ravenking Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    so i have some rhode island reds and im thinking of getting some silkie hens would it be ok to mix silkie with the rir rooster can i see some pics of what that would look like.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Whilst I have never kept silkies, I would not imagine them thriving (or maybe even surviving) with a RIR cock bird - the size difference is vast, and mating would be extremely rough on the hens. Hopefully, those with experience of keeping silkies as part of a mixed flock will chime in.

3. ravenking

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    ok i wasnt sure if i should just get a silkie rooster or use the rir rooster would the two roosters even get along tho my rooster now is pretty mellow but not sure how he be with another rooster

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If your silkies were kept separately, then the cock birds could not directly interact.

5. ravenking

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    ok il have to build another coop and run area thanks

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    These are just my thoughts and not based on direct experience. Hopefully you will get further advice from members who do keep silkies as part of a mixed flock - it would sure beat my hypotheses [​IMG]

7. ravenking

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    its cool it makes sense tho i like silkies but dont want any the chickens get hurt trying to mate lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by