Silkie x's with missing toes. What genetic problem is this? PICS.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by guinea fowl galore, Aug 18, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I have recently had two broodys hatch out six chicks. One silkie, one bantam Wyandotte and four silkie Wyandotte bantam crosses. Now the problems... All the crossed chicks have a little or no third toe (the one that is usually the most feathered)On both feet. they are coping quite well with their little/no toes and seem fine in every other aspect.
    The silkie chick has an 'overbite', the top bit of it's beak is abnormally longer then the bottom half. The other chick is normal as far as I can tell.
    So are these problems caused from inbreeding or some other genetic problem?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can you post photos of the feet?

3. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:I should be able to tomorrow.
    Do you have any ideas about what these issues are usually caused by?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    First let me see what is going on. It is not uncommon to have silkie cross birds missing the 5th toe, but I've never heard of any bird missing the 3rd toe. With a cross between a feather footed breed and a non feather footed breed you will have far less feathering than the feather footed parent. Could the lack of foot feathers cause you to say the 3rd toe is the one missing?

5. slamine

slamine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Quote:Or perhaps the OP means that it is shortened and missing the toenail, as is not too uncommon with feather footed breeds. Although as you mentioned, breeding a feather footed breed with a non feather footed breed decreases foot feathering so I'm not sure how that would affect the 3rd toe, even if the feather footed parent had a shortened 3rd toe.

6. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    ok, Finally. Some pictures.

I hate posting blurry pictures, but....

[​IMG]

I know this little ones feet look awful. It ran through a mud puddle yesterday [​IMG]. and I am treating the little cut on its leg.

[​IMG]

so what do you all think? A genetic problem?

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It actually looks more like injury; possibly from a previous case of scaley leg mite. I looked up brachydactyly in Hutt (pages 55-58) and it could be a severe case. In my birds showing brachydactyly, it is not nearly that short. ncidentally, that is not the 3rd toe [​IMG]

8. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have silkie mixes and I have not had this problem... but will look closer when feeding this morning.

9. guinea fowl galore

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:But they've had this problem since they hatched [​IMG] and the toes look more deformed then injured.
    I just remembered that i forgot to post a picture of the silkies 'overbite' i'll do that tomorrow. And, Which toe IS the third one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by