silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by one cool chick, Jan 14, 2009.

1. one cool chick

one cool chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    have any of you ever had a buff silkie without a puff on its head and a red comb? our buff silkie came to us as a one day old chick. she was supposed to be a hen but we think she may be a roo. it got pretty cold last night (about 30 degrees), and today we noticed a few black specks on her comb. we're wondering if it could be frostbite, or if her comb is supposed to turn black? she's about 4 mos. old.

thank you![​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Some silkies depending on quality just don't have the large crest. Non bearded ones tend to have larger combs and wattles. I couldn't tell you on the black on the comb. It never gets that cold where I live. Has this bird been pecked on. That can happen to and cause black spots

3. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    thank you. I don't think she has been pecked because she is high in the pecking order. she is the only bantam we have. do you think the red comb and red wattle at 4 months means she is a roo?[​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Red comb and wattles are no indication that it is a roo with silkies, just an indicator that it is quite a ways off from the standard. Black specks could be fostbite, although it depends on the type of comb as to whether this is more or less likely.

If your silkie has a single comb, that is the kind most likely to get frost bitten. It is another way in which your bird would vary from the standard. But black specks could be bugs, specks of blood from pecking or even from being groomed, or pox.

Silkie combs tend not to get darker as a bird ages--quite the opposite: they are more likely to turn redder or lighter.

If you post pics I can tell you whether I agree with you on gender or not.

5. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    What do you think?

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Single combed silkies are not uncommon. It's the result of two copies of a recessive gene, so both parents can carry the gene and have walnut combs and still produce single combed birds. Sounds like you got a typical hatchery quality bird. Silkies cannot be sexed at a day old. A pic would be helpful in gender identification.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'm thinking girl based mostly on colour--males tend to have more black feathers on buff birds. But I am far from sure based upon that photo. The wattles are getting kind of big. Is that a single, pea or rose comb? It certainly isn't a walnut comb. (I've had single and pea combed silkies on occasion, never a rose comb, though.)

A photo showing the entire body and upright stance would help in identifying gender.

8. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    Thank you for your response. I will try to get a photo tomorrow in the daylight. This is just one I happened to have. She does have quite a few darker feathers on her tail, as well.

9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately a female. I'd be interested in seeing the feet.

10. one cool chick

Oct 25, 2008
    USA
    I only know how to post one photo at a time... here is the tail photo

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by