Silkie

Dec 8, 2019
Valencia County, New Mexico
This is just a random thread about Silkie, my silkie hen.
I got Silkie, along with her three siblings, from someone on Craigslist. Two greys, two whites. Silkie was Cloud, then. We had Cloud, Cirrus, Stormy, and I think it was... Rain? Well, they lived in a little kennel, occasionally let outside.
Soon they got too big for their little cage, and I started letting them out with the other chickens. Then the first tragedy happened.
It was a rainy day, fitting. I got home, and I saw my elderly pit bull with a small, white bundle in his mouth. My stomach dropped as I sprinted after him, screaming for him to drop it. We had to wrench his mouth open.
Cirrus was in bad shape. Her intestines were hanging out of her body. She died soon after. I was devastated.
Eventually the second catastrophe happened. Rain got trampled in the coop.
Stormy and Cloud grew into a fine couple, now dubbed Grey and White. They meandered about the yard, Grey silkie coming to nibble my fingers. Then, out of the blue, Grey rooster disappeared. Without a trace. Not a feather left behind. White, now named Silkie, is a partially indoor chicken, for her own safety. She gets pretty lonely. She sleeps on her own little chair. I just hope nothing happens to her.
741E293D-7A62-475A-8331-DDD0E83C379C.jpeg
997CEB9D-CB28-434D-845A-8EE9314875B8.jpeg
70BD214D-B8A3-468B-862C-BF7343F9A4AA.jpeg

Silkies are not great flyers and their big crests cause diminished sight. They are not really the best candidates for free rangers. Also the white ones are especially visible to predators & raptors. If you have a good safe run for them they should do well. A run cover is very much needed. If wire, it will keep raptors out. If solid if can also provide shade and some degree of protection from the elements.

Silkies are not great flyers and their big crests cause diminished sight. They are not really the best candidates for free rangers. Also the white ones are especially visible to predators & raptors. If you have a good safe run for them they should do well. A run cover is very much needed. If wire, it will keep raptors out. If solid if can also provide shade and some degree of protection from the elements.
That’s why she stays inside most of the time. I think her mate was taken by a hawk or something, so I don’t want to risk her going, too.

Back
Top Bottom