1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by charliesgirl, Apr 28, 2009.

1. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    any advice to sex day old silkie chicks? i got a blue (at least i think its a blue, theres no other color on it except blue) that was st. run in the bantam bin. any hints and tips to sex silkie babies or do i play the waiting game?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You wait. And my experience is you wait a long time. I had one I thought for sure was a girl, until he crowed.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    4-6 months is the average time to accurately sex Silkie chicks. Sorry!

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Silkies cannot be accurately sexed at a "day old" age. It isn't until they are nearing six months, and/or crow or lay an egg that you can be sure what the sex is.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since you purchased at a feed store, chances are pretty high that it will be very pet quality--the good news with that is that it is easier to sex them at an earlier age--but you'll still be waiting two or three months, not days.

6. salty

salty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Are silkies good layers
    [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    No silkies are not the best layers because their hormones tell them to constantly be broody (which means they won't lay eggs during that time).

*Hear that?! GO BROODY WILL YA?!*

8. salty

salty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    I have four which I believe to be all roosters but I are getting six more![​IMG]

9. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Quote:They lay furiously and then they go broody for what seems like forever and then they lay like crazy again untill they go broody again.
    Mine cycle in and out about 4-5 times a year. Some brood longer...some lay longer. Not a good choice for egg layers but Great if you need broodies to hatch your other breed eggs.

10. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hey hemicuda, this is totally off topic, but I was just wondering if your name refers to the rare 70's muscle car, of which (I believe) they only released 9, and 1 of them is still missing. Is that right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by