Silkie ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birds4me, Feb 1, 2011.

1. birds4me

birds4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    I have 6 silkie hens and it seems like when 1 (or more) go broody, they all stop laying?!?!?! [​IMG] This is the 2nd time that they have done this. Is this "normal" for the breed? Is there anything I can do about it? I don't "need" them to be broody since I have an incubator and I sell hatching eggs. Them NOT laying all because 1 thinks she needs to hatch some pine shavings is really putting a damper on my hatching egg collecting! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know if it's a breed trait or what, but both of my silkies are broody right now. Went broody at the same time.

Thankfully it's not an issue for me, as I have other hens to lay eggs. The silkies I got as a way to guarantee a broody.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    A silkie of mine went broody before she started laying for the first time! Since then she hasn't been broody...but it's only been like 3 months so I'm sure her clock is ticking...good luck! Maybe the others are molting? One of my silkies is...

4. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    HaHa good luck trying to get eggs out of a Silkie! I had 5 hens who only laid 4 eggs in a whole year! And none were broody, sick or moulting (they did moult once during the year).

5. birds4me

birds4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, then I just officially have weird birds! Mine usually each lay an egg a day and are very faithful about it until "someone" goes broody. Then all laying comes to a complete hault![​IMG]

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Mine are weird too...lay every single day & take turns to go broody...so far! [​IMG]

7. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    It seems like when one of mine goes broody, or just stops laying for a few days, the other one follows suit. I know how you feel.[​IMG]

8. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    i no, i have 5 sikys and 1 of them went broody and then the other 4 just went broody around here its kinda wired but butter sucurity for the chicks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] with my silkys if i want them to be mums ill give them a dosen of eggs each and then they just go clucky. its orsome i hadly yoss the incubator or brooder any more [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by