Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ilovemydog, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    My silkie is mean to me does that meen it could be a roo?

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    How old is it?

3. ilovemydog

ilovemydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    10 weeks! i havn't played with it like i have the others could that be why?

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always had hens who were 'stand-offish' but not mean...

Edited to add: What kind of 'mean' are we talking about? Pecking or full on attacks, etc?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My RIR has pecked me in the back and pushed me with her two legs when she was about 10
    weeks old. I think she was trying to be above me in the pecking order. It didn't work. I put her on her back and carried her around for a few days. She's been really sweet since then. My RIR is the dominant hen.

Silkies are hard to sex. It could go either way. So much for being docile eh?

6. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    breed typicals are just that - TYPICALS. Ive found a lot of my guys have very different personalitys and not neccessarily breed typical. As for being mean, i aquired an 8 week old welsummer roo, he was so sweet, he always jumped on my knee for some attention, he got to 5 months and turned into the devil incarnate. He's now left the building [​IMG] I couldn't keep a human aggressive bird around my kids, we couldn't control him. I'm sure you'll find he/she calms down, i think the little ones are quite jumpy and skittish and can sometimes appear to be attacking you when they're really just playing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by